17. Eviyo

Lethargic

Lethargic.

That's what this day was. I happened to talk to a lot of people but reached nowhere. Every effort was futile. Every conversation a dead-end. It was frustrating. I never had to work this hard before. It was just a job. Why were they being so harsh?

Still, I made rounds, went afar, and checked some places.

That's how I ended up here. In a new town. There was a different feeling here. I read the name on the white board, Feroleyk.

Frowning, I looked around and walked to a desolated cafe. Feeling the black knob, I turned it slightly to the right to check for resistance. There wasn't any. The door slid open with just a nudge.

I took a few deliberate steps and looked around at the surprisingly clean and modern architecture. They were definitely going for the revelation theme in here.

Based on the old, rustic, and abandoned look that I got from the outside, I could tell that whoever decided to try out this place would fall in love with the spacious, warm, soft light ambiance.

I felt comfortable already. But the cafe was empty and there was no one at the counter. I tried calling out the owner but got no answer.

Feeling dejected all of a sudden, I dragged my feet to the door which opened suddenly. A very handsome looking man stepped inside. I gulped at his beauty. The sharp angles of his face resembled dohosha stone.

Solid brown eyes looked at me with interest. He was taller than me too. Almost as tall as Wrest.

Wrest. My mate.

I came back to myself. And tried to smile to cut the awkwardness.

"Hello, I was just looking for the owner," I asked the fine gentleman.

He tilted his head. The sensuous waves of his black hair caressed his forehead with that move.

"I am the owner," he answered in a deep baritone.

I rubbed my arms unconsciously.

"Umm, Hi," I gulped.

He raised one brow, "Hello."

"My name is Eviyo. And I am looking for a job."

"What kind of job?" He asked.

"Anything actually. I can wait tables. I can keep the accounts. Even dust and store. So, whatever is open right now, I will take it."

He walked slowly to the counter and sat. Since he was now partially hidden behind the counter, either I had to follow him or assume this position for how long this conversation went.

If he said no, then the door was only a few feet away. I would be out in a matter of seconds. But if he said yes, then I would have to go there-

"Come here," he ordered.

Okay! I shuffled and stopped a few feet away from the obsidian counter and was surprised to see that he was leaning his chair back. Once he straightened up, he managed to tower even over the high mounted counter.

"I have a temporary vacancy. For neither of the jobs you mentioned," he told.

I shuffled closer, "That's okay. Whatever you have, I will do."

"Don't accept before listening," he reprimanded.

I gulped and nodded. Waited for him to continue.

"Do you know how to drive?" He asked.

I nodded in assent.

"Good. You'll be my driver."

"Umm, Okay?" I asked rather than affirmed.

"You will pick me up and drive me back to my place every day."

That's a simple job.

"If you don't mind me asking, where do you stay?"

"It's a thirty minutes drive from here," he was being evasive.

"Alright. I will do it," I replied confidently this time.

But what will I do for the rest of the day? I wasn't going to ask this because he was my boss now and he was already too scary.

"I'm not finished," he again reprimanded.

I pursed my lips and gulped again.

"This is only one set of your job. Rest of the day, you will follow me wherever I go."

"You mean, drive you around?"

"No, simply follow me. I walk a lot."

Okay. That's weird.

"For chores. I don't take my car around for completing small chores. So, you'll be on your foot all day long. Is that okay with you?"

Oh. Okay. "Yes, yes... It is."

"Tomorrow, you'll only drive me back to my place. And the day after morrow, your job will officially start. Is that good?"

No. It wasn't. I had to ask Wrest. And I was sure he would say No.

"Yes, that's perfect," Instead I replied with a smile.

He leaned back in his chair. "Very well. I will see you tomorrow morning at 8, Eviyo."

The way he said my name, more deeply and quietly made every hair stand up on my body. I subtly rubbed my arms again.

"I look forward to working for you Mr-?"

"Wrade," he replied.

"Mr. Wrade, thank you for the opportunity."

He watched me walk to the door. I felt uneasy with the way my body reacted to his gaze. It was intense. Almost possessive. Just like Wrest. He watched me like this. It was uncanny.

I took a relieved breath once outside. Happiness flowed into my once dejected veins and I walked leisurely back to my home.

And the thought of Wrest possibly ruining the happiness of my new job didn't deter me one bit. It actually made me more determined to convince him.

And I would.