15. Eviyo

Brutal heat

Brutal heat. That's all I could feel and remember. My body was scalded in places. Inflammation on my skin made me think of that glowing healing water. I wanted to teleport myself to that river right now but I didn't know where it was exactly.

Maybe if I thought about it enough, I would end up there but the burning pain left me with no choice but to bear it.

"I know you're in pain baby but it will subside slowly. My magic is working on you. Healing takes time. You need plenty of rest. So, go back to sleep."

I wanted to open my eyes and talk instead. Divert my mind to something other than this excruciating pain. But I felt a touch on my forehead. Darkness enveloped me relieving me of my consciousness and hence my pain.

I sighed in bliss and whispered the surprising words in my brain. I love you

***

The next time I woke, I was feeling much better. The pain was now a dull memory with nothing more than a dryness that a little oiling would solve.

"That door must remain closed at all costs. If anybody manages to get out, you would lose your unworthy life."

The menacing tone made me shiver. Who was the king threatening? I hope whoever was on the other end of the line did his job right.

I peeled my eyes open and turned my head to look at Wrest who was gazing out of the window.

"Who were you threatening?" I asked softly.

Wrest turned to look at me, "You're awake."

I sat down slowly before lengthening my body into a standing position. Almost everywhere my skin pulled. I needed to remember to avoid any fast moments for some days.

"Careful. You're still healing." Wrest pulled me into a gentle hug and I melted.

I love you. I remembered those whispered words. My body stiffened.

"What happened?"

I cleared my throat and shook my head, "Nothing."

Wrest looked at me weirdly.

"So, who were you threatening?"

"You mean ordering?" He counteracted.

I raised my brow at his high-handedness and replied sarcastically, "Yes, that."

He smirked, "Someone who needed a reminder."

"You need to soften your approach a little."

"Why would I do that?"

I sighed, "Because-"

"A king doesn't mince his words. He doesn't need to flatter anybody." Wrest cut me off.

"Other than his mate of course. Then, he would do anything." He added flirtatiously.

I pushed myself out of his beefy arms. "You're impossible."

"What were those witches doing to you before I came in?"

I turned and frowned. I tried to remember what happened after he came in instead but nothing made any sense. All I could remember was heat and pain.

I shrugged and replied, "They were taking a test."

His eyes turned cold, "What kind of test?"

"They wanted to see if I could get myself out of the fire through teleporting."

His eyes turned beastly. I shivered involuntarily. Teleporting. That word was a trigger for him. Too bad since that was my happy place.

I continued, "They already did few tests on me by then. I teleported from an ice cubicle, enchanted ward, and a mud swarm.

He raised his brow and replied quietly, "Oh!"

I gulped at that deceptive calmness.

"So, they poked and prodded you. Wanted to see your magic for themselves."

"I think they were just curious. They needed to know what weapons I carried in my arsenal."

He raised his brow again, "Hmm."

Suddenly, I felt a gust of air around me which thickened by the second. I frowned and looked down. A small tornado formed right at my feet. My eyes rounded and my heart turned heavy.

Lightning accompanied the ever-growing cyclone that steadily reached my waist. I looked at Wrest who calmly looked at me from a distance. I yelled Stop. But the cyclone around me was deafening. It absorbed my voice.

Left with no choice, I tried to open a portal but it didn't stay for long. The dark wind manhandled my every effort. So, I took a deep breath to calm myself and decided to work with the wind.

By now I was fully inside a tornado that was double my size. I couldn't see the room or Wrest anymore.

I tried again. Opened small portals all around me. They helped to diffuse a little pressure. That's what I thought. I hoped they did.

Carefully, I created one big enough portal in front of me and encircled it with further smaller ones. Thankfully, the bigger portal retained its size. I started to push against the fierce wind and crouched to go inside but before I could the tornado abruptly dissipated taking away with it my many hard-earned portals.

I fell hard on my ass. Panting, I looked frantically around before Wrest picked me up bridal style.

"You're very clever, my mate. I saw what you did. How you managed to make a way for your portals. I'm impressed."

Anger built up like a tornado in me. I pushed at his hard chest but he only squeezed me harder.

"How dare you put me through a test just for your fun?"

He raised his brow, "I was curious to know your magic more."

"While you imprisoned them for the same thing."

"At least, they had a valid reason. They genuinely wanted to understand my magic. You are just jealous because you didn't get to do it first."

"Yes, I am. I'm right to be jealous. Never compare me to them. They are beneath me. I'm your mate. I can do whatever I want."

I was mad. I pushed at his chest again. But he was not in the mood to put me down. I felt the fight drain out of me suddenly. I was tired by the whole ordeal, by the whole day.

But most importantly, I was hurt. How could he put me through a test right after I started feeling better? Without even asking me.

I felt familiar darkness pulling at my consciousness. I didn't fight it. Rather welcomed it with open arms. Just before I closed my eyes, I looked at Wrest once more before whispering, "I hate you."