13. Eviyo

W

W

atching Wrest work all day was tiresome and it made me restless. I needed to do something. When I told him that, he ordered me to take it easy today.

Easy would be like opening a portal for me. But he won't take kindly to that. I didn't want to test his patience so soon. I wasn't quite afraid of him but he did sometimes made me edgy.

Still, there were a few more hours of daylight and I decided to do something.

"Your spellcasters, I want to meet them," I said suddenly.

He froze mid-writing. The heavy-looking chair turned left and the king tilted his head to the side.

"Why?"

"Well, I would have to work with them at some point. Why not start to know them a little?"

"What would you like to know?" He asked quietly.

"How they are as a person, I guess."

"I have an extensive file on each one of them. You can go through that."

I pursed my lips. "I'm not working on a case, Wrest. I'm going to work with them. I don't need a file."

"It's the same. You're a royal intern at that program. The moment you get a hang of your abilities and how you can control them. You'll be promoted. And I don't need them to have a friendly boss."

"Why are you being so difficult about this?" He was having his way in everything.

He rose to his full height. Slowly coming closer to me, he said, "Listen to me carefully, Eviyo. I know how to run a place. I've been doing it for a century. I don't think I need to take lessons from you. So, you'll do as I say."

His words hurt. But I nodded because he was right. He was the king and I would be an intern.

I understood what he was saying. He was the boss and he would always remain one. Giving me a promotion would only benefit him.

He just wanted to keep me closer. So be it. I would learn as much as possible and then quit.

If he thinks he would get a say in everything then he was wrong. I've had enough. His controlling presence was slowly suffocating me. I excused myself.

Back in my old house, I stripped my clothes and without thinking dipped into the water.

The cold seeped into my bones. I felt weightless. The water lifted me as well as the burdens of my new life from my shoulders. I could have gone back to the mansion but that place didn't feel like home.

Despite the crushing betrayal from Vonome, I still considered this my home and I missed him. I missed him so much.

Fresh tears trailed down my cheek. I submerged myself in the water and waited till the last breath.

A soft noise came from somewhere. I quickly emerged back to the surface. Panting, I looked around and saw the water undisturbed except around me.

I waited and shrugged after a while. Resuming my lazy swimming, I looked up at the sky.

After a few minutes, the noise came from the west. The lake was surrounded by a huge ten feet rocks. I couldn't see what was going on beyond those rocks.

An idea lit up my mind. I swam back to the window of my room but the noise was closer this time. Too close. Almost like it was a few feet away from me.

I swallowed. Dreading the unknown. Someone was definitely in the water. I wouldn't be able to climb up the window. The ripple of water was the only indication that it was moving.

I was frozen to the spot. Just as that thing closed in around me, I felt a touch. The water shimmered and glowed in a ringlet before going back to its green color.

I shivered and looked around. It was gone, whatever it was. So, I climbed into my room and closed the window.

Taking a quick shower, I changed into a fresh set of black trousers and a shirt. Feeling out of sorts, I waited for my heartbeat to slow down.

Laying down on my bed, I closed my eyes and thought about this weird day. I wasn't immune to magical things. I could teleport to any place in the universe. That thing didn't scare me. It just caught me off guard.

But the most important question was "Should I tell this to Wrest?"

Even before I could come to any decision, my head shook itself. A strong No resonated inside me and I felt it gripping me strong.

It was the first time I felt scared. It was not mine. Something or someone was directing me to this decision. So, I did the opposite because I was not going to give it any control.

Opening the portal, I landed in the office room where Wrest was startled by the portal. I would have laughed if I weren't in this weird situation.

"Wrest, I need to tell you something."