14. King Wrest

"What is it?" Immediately, the magic rose to protect my scared mate

"I went to my room. I swam to pass the time when I felt something."

I frowned. "What did you feel?"

"I don't know. Something touched me. The water shimmered and glowed but nobody was there."

"Water glowed?"

He nodded and swallowed.

I went to him and embraced him tightly, "I'll look into it. Promise me, you won't go there from now on. And if you really want to, I'll go with you."

He stiffened. I squeezed him in reassurance.

"Someone is definitely lurking up or in there. Until and unless we don't know who it is, we need to be careful."

I reasoned with him. After a while, he understood and rubbed his head on my chest.

"How will you find out?" Eviyo asked softly.

"Elemental magicians would work great in this case. Someone who can explore the depth of the water and see if there has been a magical activity down there."

"That's smooth. They can know that?"

I nodded. "Yeah. Much more than that. But the first step is to survey the area. That would give us some clue."

"If there is any remnant of unusual magic in the water, then he would study that."

"Why do you say unusual?"

"I have a feeling. And I trust my feeling," I pursed my lips.

"Let's go. I'm done for the day. You'll start work tomorrow."

"Alright."

***

The next day I was immersed in work and trying not to miss Eviyo too much. I was failing. He was around brilliant spellcasters who could manipulate or make him do anything. Not that they would. But my mind was all twisted up.

The magic lapped up my frustration and goaded me to manhandle all of their minds just for fun. I wouldn't do that. Because Eviyo would have a fit.

I sighed. The restraints I had to show for him. I checked the clock only to realize that it was reading the same damn time for the past half an hour.

Something darkened inside me. I stood up and briskly walked toward the wizard shop. Transmuting the door into water, I stepped inside the narrow hallway.

My wet clothes clung to me but I simply dried my shoes to avoid the squishing. Flames flickered one by one as I passed them.

I stopped when I saw the rising sun painted on the blue door. *The Dawn room*

I transmuted it too into water. Before I could step inside, I saw what was happening inside through the clear water.

All the wizards and witches stood on one side and looked at my mate who was trapped inside the raging fire.

The magic rose in me and I directed the water in front of me to the flames. It extinguished quickly. Dozens of fearful gasps reached me followed by incomprehensible words. But I had surrendered to my powerful dark magic which was feeling imprisoned and antsy.

The acrid smell rose. The acid burnt the culprits slowly and steadily. I enjoyed it immensely, revved it up and thought about lighting them up next. Maybe I would play with them a little before killing them like how they were doing with my mate.

My mate who must be horrified as well as terrified. I took back the control and looked at an unconscious body that lay on the floor.

My heart turned heavy. I went to him and picked him up gently. Taking note of his injuries, I surmised that he probably just fainted.

I turned and saw the culprits healing themselves up as much as possible. I would finish them soon but I needed to attend to my mate first.

"I will come for you again. Don't dare to escape."

With that warning, I locked the door behind me. I called forth the healing magic and repaired my mate with every step I took to reach my room.

Eviyo's beautiful grey eyes opened. They were a little red around the edges. His pupils grew when he saw me.

"You're a monster," he whispered.

And without any remorse, I wiped off his recent memory.