Chapter 15

Castle rode to the hospital in the ambulance with Kate. "Can you please explain to me what happened?" Asked the ER doctor once they arrived. "A suspect in a homicide punched my wife in the stomach. She was leaving the room to throw up because she is pregnant," Castle explained panicked. "She's pregnant?" The doctor asked. "Yes," Castle replied panicked. "Will you be able to save her and the baby?" "I'm not sure," the doctor replied. "But I need to go do her surgery now." He said leaving the room.

4 hours later.....

"Kate, Kate?" Castle asked. He was sitting in the hospital bed next to Kate, and saw her eyelids flicker. Kate opened her eyes to see the world spinning around her. As her eyes focused, she saw her handsome husband sitting next to her. "What happened to me?" Kate asked. "Daniel Ford punched you in the stomach as you were leaving the room. You threw up, passed out, and then a puddle of blood formed by your legs. "Is the baby okay?" She asked looking down at her stomach. "I don't know. They haven't told me yet," he replied. Right after he said this, a doctor came in the room and said, "We operated on you because part of your uterus's lining, which protects your babies, was destroyed. We fixed it, so you should be okay, but you may feel sharp pains in your stomach until the end of your pregnancy." "Did you say babies? As in plural?" Asked Castle. "Yes," said the doctor. "You have two 6 week along twin babies growing." "Can you tell what sex they are?" Castle asked. "Not yet," replied the doctor. "You will need to rest, not lift anything, not run, or not be stressed for the next 4 weeks while you recover from the surgery." "So basically I can't work," Kate said sadly. "What is it you do again?" The doctor asked. "NYPD homicide," she replied. "Doctor, did you say I am 6 weeks along?" "Yes," he replied. "I thought I was only about 4 weeks." "Nope, 6," said the doctor. "If I have answered all your questions, you are free to go." He said as he took the IV out of Kate's arm. "Yay, time to go home," said Kate as she kissed Castle on the lips.

Rick carried Kate the whole way home, and tucked her into bed. "Now you need to stay here. Doctor's orders," said Castle with a smile. "Or not," said Kate as she ran to the bathroom to throw up again. After brushing her teeth, she got back in bed and spent the spent the day arriving visitors. The first person to see Kate was her Dad, Jim. Next was Martha and Alexis (they weren't first because neither of them live at the loft anymore). Then Ryan and Jenny, and Esposito and Lanie. "Hey Beckett," said Ryan. "Daniel Ford confessed to the murders and is also being committed for assaulting an officer," said Espo. "How are you feeling?" Asked Lanie. "I am okay, but unfortunately I am not allowed to work for four weeks." "How is the baby?" Asked Jenny. "Well, actually I am going to have twins, and they are both healthy." Kate replied while smiling lovingly at Castle. After they left Kate asked Rick, "What are we going to tell Gates?" "We will have to tell her the truth." said Castle. "She is going to hate me. She is going to lose her best detective for four weeks now and for months when I am on maternity leave." Kate said stressed. "She will be fine with it," said Castle. "And don't stress. It is bad for our babies. He kissed her and asked, "Feel better?" "A little," she replied. He kissed her again and asked, "What about now?" "Somewhat better" Kate replied. Then Rick pulled her in for a long, slow kiss. "What about now?" he asked. "Thanks," she replied. "For what?" "For always making me feel better." Then Gates entered to see Beckett, ruining the moment.

"Hello sir." Said Beckett. "What is going on, and what did the hospital say about you passing out?" Asked Gates. "Well, I passed out due to stress." "How about you just tell me the whole story from the beginning?" Gates ordered. Kate looked to Castle for support and he held her hand. Then she said, "I was talking with the suspect, when I felt like I was going to throw up. That is when he punched me." "The force of the punch caused her to throw up and the stress caused her to pass out." said Castle. "What about the blood, and why did you throw up?" Asked Gates curiously. "Sir, (Kate paused and looked at Castle for support and reassurance) I'm pregnant." "Ohhhhhh..." Gates replied. "So the puke was morning sickness and the blood was from my uterus and the babies which he punched." Kate stated. "Babies?" Gates questioned. "I am going to have twins," Beckett clarified "Are the babies okay?" Asked Gates sounding slightly concerned. "Yes, they did surgery and fixed everything, and the babies should be born healthy," said Beckett. "Well congratulations, and I am glad you are okay." Said Gates. "Sir, unfortunetly, due to the surgery, I am not allowed to work for four weeks." Beckett said. "Well, see you in four weeks," said Gates clearly pissed she was temporarily losing her best detective.

"I am so ready to go to sleep," said Kate yawning. Castle crawled in bed next to Kate and pulled her close to himself. "I love you Kate," he said. "I love you too Rick," said Kate as she fell asleep in his arms.