Chapter 36

It has been three days since Rick and Kate returned from the Hamptons. Currently Castle was having a meeting with his publisher, and Kate was sitting on the fuzzy beige carpeted floor in the living room, playing with baby Johanna and Cosmo. She blew on Cosmo's belly and smiled when he giggled. The apartment door opened and Kate turned her head to see Alexis with Tesa on her hip, and Ashleigh. "Thanks for dropping me off Ash," said Alexis. "You're welcome," replied Ashleigh. Alexis and Ashleigh leaned forwards and kissed. Kate turned away from them, and tickled Jo's baby belly. "Mommy loves you," she whispered. Kate heard the door close, and looked over to see Ashleigh and Alexis walking upstairs with Tesa in Ashleigh's arms. A few minutes later, she heard lots of moans and noisy panting coming from upstairs. "Thank goodness your Daddy isn't home," she said to Cosmo in a baby voice. "I guess it's a good thing I went to the doctor with Alexis to get birth control pills last month," Kate thought to herself. She placed the twins in their playpen, and walked up the stairs. Once she was standing outside Alexis's bedroom door, Kate shouted, "Alexis. Your dad will be home in half a hour, so you guys might want to finish up, so he doesn't arrive and flip out at you." The moans abruptly stopped and it became completely silent. "You guys can finish, just beware of the time," said Kate as she walked downstairs. She sat on the couch and cuddled her babies. After a few minutes Cosmo needed his diaper changed and Johanna was hungry, so they both started crying and screaming. Kate lifted up her shirt, and tucked Jo in her sports bra, so she could eat, and changed his diaper. After Cosmo had on a clean diaper, she grabbed a blanket and fed baby Jo regularly. As Kate was feeding her daughter, the moans from upstairs subsided, and shortly there after, Ashleigh crept downstairs and exited the apartment. After he left, Alexis came downstairs feeding Tesa, and went into the kitchen to grab a bottle of water. Kate patted the spot on the couch next to her, signaling for Alexis to come sit beside her. After she sat down, Kate said, "You know, you're very lucky that your dad wasn't home because he probably would have attacked Ashleigh." Alexis turned bright red, and she chuckled slightly to try to make it less noticable. She hoped that Kate wouldn't give her a speech about being too young for sex. Kate watched as she spun a ring around her finger. "Wait ring?" thought Kate. "Are you engaged?" she asked. Alexis smiled and nodded. "Wow, congratulations Alexis," Kate said. "How long have you been engaged, and when are you going to tell your father?" "Well, Ashleigh proposed this morning, and I am going to move into an apartment with him in about two weeks. I haven't really decided when I'm going to tell my dad," said Alexis. "Do you think he is going to be upset with me or Ashleigh?" "Why would he be upset with either of you?" asked Kate. "Well, I am moving in with a boy again, and I am pretty sure Ashleigh didn't ask my dad for his approval before proposing," Alexis stated as she set Tesa in her lap, pulled down her shirt, and removed the blanket from her shoulders. "I don't see why he would be upset, and if he is, I am pretty sure I can convince him not to be," replied Kate. "Thanks and... uhh.. thanks," said Alexis. Kate nodded and someone knocked at the door. Kate stood up and repositioned the blanket covering her breasts and Johanna. She wasn't sure who it could be, so she grabbed her gun and held it in her right hand and Johanna in her left. Kate opened the door to see Captain Victoria Gates. She lowered the gun and said, "Hello sir, why are you here?" Gates was slightly surprised when she saw her detective holding a gun and feeding her baby at the same time, but she calmly said, "I have something to tell you, and you might want to sit down." Worry spread through Kate's body and was written all over her face. She sat down on the couch next to Alexis, and felt baby Jo release from her breast. She placed Johanna on her lap, pushed down her bra and tee shirt, and removed the blanket from her body. Kate lifted up Cosmo from my playpen, and held both her children tightly in her arms, before looking at her captain silently saying she's ready for the news. "We believe your husband has been abducted or murdered," said Gates. "What!?!" shrieked Alexis. She then began to cry, and her sudden outburst caused Tesa to start crying. Hearing Tesa's whaling, Jo and Cosmo also began to cry. Kate quickly comforted her babies and got them to calm down. She placed them in their playpen and stuck pacifiers in their mouths. Then Kate asked, "What have you found to suggest something happened to him?" "His car was found crashed into a bus-stop a few roads from here. His wallet and phone were there along with a lot of blood," Gates replied. Alexis stepped aside and called her fiancé and asked him if he could come over. "Alexis?" asked Kate. "Yeah," she replied. "If you want Ashleigh could stay here for a while," Kate suggested. "Okay, thanks mom," she replied. Gates left shortly after, and Kate called Martha and her father. She put the twins in their cribs in the master bedroom, changed into pajamas, and cried herself to sleep.