Chapter 39

If you skipped parts of the last chapter, you didn't really miss anything important.

After picking up Cosmo and Johanna from Martha's apartment, Rick and Kate brought them to the park and sat on the swings. After spending a few minutes there, the family went home and sat down in the living room. Kate and Rick played with the twins for a few hours watching the curiosity in their children's eyes. Cosmo and Johanna were now seven and a half months old and enjoyed rolling balls, as well as trying to stand up while holding the couch. Kate noticed that Cosmo started to get his first baby tooth, so she wrote it down in a baby book that the twins can have when they are all grown up. After playing with the kids for a few hours, they all ate dinner and tucked the twins in their cribs before retreating to their bedroom. Once both Rick and Kate got ready for bed and crawled under the covers Kate said, "Neither my dad or your mom can take care of the twins tomorrow and now that Alexis moved out, they are going to be all alone." "Do you want me to stay home with them?" Rick asked. "I was thinking that maybe we could take them to the precinct with us," Kate replied. "Yeah, that sounds like a good idea. We will just need another officer to look after them if we have to go somewhere," Rick responded. "Kate? Ummm..," he started. "What?" asked Kate with a worried tone. "You know you can tell me anything right?" "We decided we want to try to have another child once the twins are about one, but umm..." started Rick. "What is it Rick?" Kate asked. "Are we sure that that's a good idea because we don't have anyone planned to take care of the kids and what if this happens more frequently?" Rick asked. "Are you saying we shouldn't have more kids or shouldn't have had the twins?" Kate asked with tears in her eyes. "No, of course not. I love Cosmo and Johanna as much as I love you, you know that. What I am saying is that maybe we should hire a nanny to look after them each day or I should stay home with them instead of going to the precinct with you," Rick answered. Kate was silent and was thinking over what he said. A bunch of emotions were overloading her and Kate was beginning to get confused. She wondered if Rick cared about her anymore. Without him in the precinct and on the job with her, Kate would have died many times. She needs him to solve cases and get justice for the victims' families. Kate loves her children though and wants them to be happy and successful. She wants them to have a good bond with both parents and not anyone else. Kate also wants her children to have a parent to come home to each day. She would feel horrible if they both died and left their children all alone. Kate got very conflicted and emotional, so she rolled over with her back facing Rick and mumbled, "Let me think more about this." Castle could hear the tears in her voice and immediately felt bad for bring up the topic. He had no clue that it would upset her. "I'm sorry Kate. I didn't mean to upset you," Rick said as he went go turn off the lights. He then crawled under the covers and pulled his wife up close. Rick was surprised when she didn't move away, but is relieved at the same time. Rick gave Kate a kiss on her forehead and they both quickly fell asleep for the rest of the night.

Rick woke up to the sound of the alarm and quickly got up to silence it. After turning off the alarm, he made his way over to the bed to wake Kate up. "Kate baby. It's time to get ready for work," he said while nudging her awake. Rick leaned in and kissed her cheek, waking Kate up. She opened her eyes and moaned clutching her tummy. "Are you okay?" Rick asked concerned. Kate shook her head and grumbled, "My tummy hhuuurrrrrts." "From?" asked Rick. Kate glared at him he thought to himself, "What? Oh yeah... she's on her period." Then Rick said out-loud, "Oh yeah, I'll go get you some tylenol." Kate nodded and mumbled, "Thanks." Rick shortly returned with two tablets and a glass of water. Kate swallowed the pills and finished the water before asking, "Do you think you can feed the twins their baby food while I take a shower?" "Sure," Rick responded. "Thanks," Kate said. "Always," Rick replied before heading off to the nursery to wake up Cosmo and Johanna so they can have there breakfast.

Castle fed the twins baby food from the little jars while Kate got ready for work. Once she was ready to leave for the precinct, Rick got ready while Kate packed a bag for the twins and kept them entertained. Once both parents were clean and dressed, they headed to the precinct after buckling the twins safely into their carseats. "Hey Castles," said Ryan when the elevator opened. "Why are the twins here?" asked Esposito. "We couldn't find anyone to babysit," Rick explained. Kate placed the baby bag and the twins' carseats/carriers by her desk, and then took Cosmo and handed him to Rick before placing Johanna on her hip. She then said, "I'm going to go talk to Gates."

Detective Beckett knocked on the door of her captain's office and entered after hearing her said, "Come in." "Hello sir," said Beckett once she had walked into Gates' office and had shut the door. "Hello Detective Beckett and mini Beckett," said Gates happily. "Your daughter is very beautiful, but what is she doing here?" she asked confused. "Well Rick and I couldn't find anyone to babysit them and we both wanted to be here today, so we took the twins with us. I hope that is alright," Kate replied. "I guess that they can stay as long as everyone still does their work," the Captain replied. "Thank you sir," Kate replied before swiftly leaving. "So what did she say?" Rick asked once Kate returned to her desk. "Gates complimented our daughter and said that the twins can stay as long as everyone does their work," she replied. "Her soft side appears to be for babies. Gates' gets all happy around them," Castle stated. Beckett nodded in agreement and the two of them sat there silently with a baby in each of their laps. After about thirty seconds of quiet, Ryan's phone rang and he swiftly answered. Once the call ended Ryan said, "There's been a murder."

Kate and Rick stayed with Cosmo and Johanna while Esposito and Ryan went to the new crime scene. The victim is a sixteen year old female named Christine Banks. Christine worked at a restaurant downtown as a waiter and went to an expensive private school. She was killed by blunt force trauma to the head by a baseball bat. Beckett ran phones and financials while Ryan and Esposito talked to the next of kin, the victim's coworkers, and her friends and teachers at school. The victims phone records showed numerous calls from a member of the Westies. Kate did research on this member and found that he is seventeen years old. She sent Ryan and Esposito to go pick him up. They quickly interrogated him, and the boy confessed to killing Christine because she witnessed him kill another person. The case was open and shut. They had solved the case in record time and got to go home early that night.

That night when Rick and Kate were curled up in bed, Kate said, "You are right Rick." "About what?" he asked confused. "About what you said last night," said Kate. "I have decided it would be best for you to stay home with our children until they start school." Rick smiled and said, "I'm going to miss you and worry about you, but I will enjoy spend time with our babies." Kate kissed him on the lips and said, "I'm going to miss you too, but it's for the best." The two of them fell asleep that night, dreaming about their future.