06. sunrise

listen to: no light, no light - florence and the machine

↣ ↣ ↣

I followed the wolves and the Hunter to the edge of the clearing we stood in, which ended in a cliff. The city lights were beautiful from up here, and I turned my night vision off to see the sight.

"When's the last time you saw your sister?" Argent asked Derek. The Alpha sighed heavily, looking out into the distance.

"Nine years ago," he answered. "I thought she died in the fire."

Fire? I love fire, my instincts told me, but I shoved the pesky thoughts away.

"Do you feel like you have a lock on her scent?" the Hunter asked.

The Alpha shook his head sadly, and Argent glanced back at Scott beside me. "Scott? How confident are you in your abilities?" I frowned at the fact that he didn't ask me, but shook it off. Either way I would help find the Betas, even if I didn't assist in the way I wanted to.

"Honestly," Scott said, "Most of the time I'm trying not to think about all the things I can smell."

"Well, can you smell yourself right now?" I asked. "Because I think you need some deodorant." He turned and made a face at me.

"All right," Argent finally said. "The problem is when they breach the woods and hit the residential area. Once they are past the high school, they're in the middle of Beacon Hills."

"They're not gonna kill everything they see, are they?" Isaac asked, pulling at his hideous scarf.

"No," Argent replied. "But there is an important difference to recognize. Wolves hunt for food--at a certain point they get full. Boyd and Cora are hunting for the pleasure of the kill. There's some primal apex predatory satisfaction that comes from the ripping of warm bodies to bloody shreds."

I can agree with that statement. I have done my share of body-ripping in the past, and I can't say I didn't enjoy it...just a little bit.

"And who knows when that need gets satiated?" he continued, frowning.

"We can't kill them," Scott interrupted.

"What if we can't catch them?" Derek snapped.

I stepped into the middle of the group, so they would all hear me. "We just need to contain them." I looked to Derek. "There's no one in the school at night, is there?"

"Want to trap them inside?" he asked.

"If there's somewhere with a strong enough door."

"No windows," Argent added, "No access to the outside."

"What about the boiler room?" Isaac suggested. "It's just one big, steel door."

I looked to Argent again, nodding in agreement with Isaac. The Hunter still looked uneasy. "You're sure the school's empty?" he asked.

"It has to be," Scott said behind me. "There can't be anyone there this late, right?"

"Let's do it," I said, voice final. "If we wait any longer, who knows who or what they will kill next?"

↣ ↣ ↣

Argent planted a long, metal stick in the dirt. It looked almost futuristic; the lights behind the metal coating giving it an eerie glow in the moonlight.

"These are ultrasonic emitters," the Hunter explained. "It's one of the tools we use to corral werewolves, pushing them in a direction that we want them to run." He pressed a button down on top of the metal stick, and a piercing, high-pitched tone hit my eardrums.