05. winged

listen to: bruh - sam gellaitry

↣ ↣ ↣

"Deucalion hasn't let them shift for three full moons," I said frantically into the phone. Scott was on the other line, just about to step into the vault with Boyd and Erica, while we had just figured out the final piece to Deucalion's little game with the Betas.

"They're going to be more savage, more vicious," Stiles blurted.

"Bloodthirsty, Scott. They're the lions, they're the starved lions and you and Derek just stepped into the Coliseum," Peter piped in.

The growls from the other side of the line didn't ease anyone's nerves. We all knew what was going to happen: Scott and Derek were going to get ripped to shreds, and there was nothing we could do about it.

"Scott?" Stiles called. When he didn't answer, "Scott! Scott, are you hearing this?" The phone went silent, and I walked away from the phone, not being able to stand it anymore. "Scott, no!"

Stiles ended the call, looking at me as I paced around the loft. "We can't just stand here! We have to help him!" I shouted, wings extending as anger rolled through me.

"Derek said he would kill you if you followed them," Stiles replied.

I just laughed at him. "Derek couldn't kill me, Stiles. I've been around too long."

"You can't go, Blaise. Too many people are going to get hurt."

"I have to, Stiles!" I said, voice rising. "My whole life existence is depended on protecting people. And this time, the people I have to protect are Scott and Derek."

There had only been a couple times in my life where the pack I was protecting had gotten seriously hurt, and I wasn't going to let it happen again.

I spun on my heel and walked out the loft, Stiles and Peter just watching me in silence as I left.

↣ ↣ ↣

To get to the Beacon Hills First National Bank, I had to make my way through the woods first. I liked being in the woods during the dark; it made me feel at peace for once.

I had tucked my wings into my back again, throwing on my jacket as I walked from the loft. It wasn't too chilly out, which I was glad for, because a Phoenix absolutely hated the cold.

It was funny, because I had never been in a situation like this ever before in my lifetime. The people I have protected always trusted me, always put their faith in me.

Maybe it was this way because of how different I was now.

There was no denying it--Castor had changed me. Hell, my whole past had changed me. I was colder now, more spiteful. Loving people was easier when I was younger; when I hadn't seen so many loved ones die. But now, it was hard enough to even care for people the slightest.

Everyone was just a distraction, everything just a game. I only played games because it hurt too much to actually let myself care about people again.

I crossed the street and made my way into the wooded area.

But if I was going to protect these people, I had to let them in. I had to let everything in. No more distractions. I still had to play my game carefully, especially with an Alpha pack running rampant, but I had to become a trustworthy person. I had to be the Phoenix again.

It was hard. It was so hard to want to let anyone into my life again after how much death I have seen. But I had to do it.

I promised to myself, right in the middle of the woods, that I would protect these people.