02. black crow ✓

listen to: hiiijack - SZA

↣ ↣ ↣

"Blaise!"

I groaned as someone shook me awake. "What?" I mumbled into my pillow.

"Get up! We have school today," the voice said. I opened my sleep-filled eyes to see Allison standing over me, her hands on her hips.

"I don't think I'm even enrolled," I admitted, sitting up. School? Why would I go to school? I've gone to school over a dozen times and, every time, it's boring as hell.

"Sure you are," Allison said. She smiled, but her eyes were sad as she remembered something. "I talked to my dad this morning and he called the school. Now get up, we have to pick you out something to wear."

She pulled me up but I just fell on her bed, closing my eyes again. The dream I had last night didn't really help me get any real sleep. Especially with the fact that the dream was true, and that I actually died. I mean, I had died before, but it didn't happen often.

And the fact that the Greek snake-monster Typhon was the one who killed me didn't really ease my nerves. I must have really pissed off Athens if they sent him after me.

"How about sweatpants?" I suggested.

"It's the first day, Blaise," Allison said, going through her closet. "Lydia called me this morning and said that if I brought you to school looking like garbage, she was going to kill me."

I sighed and stood up, running a tired hand through my hair. "Fine. But I'll only wear fancy clothes if they're comfortable."

↣ ↣ ↣

I walked into school with Lydia and Allison, liking the fact that all eyes were on us as we entered. I had ended up wearing a comfy flannel shirt, jeggings, and converse. Lydia even told me that I didn't look like complete trash for the first day. I hoped it was a compliment.

I gave a small wave to a few freshmen boys who stared at us with open mouths as we passed.

We stopped at Allison's locker and I could see Lydia was staring at the same thing I was. "Freshmen," she murmured, cocking her head to the side. "Tons and tons of fresh... men."

"You mean fresh boys," Allison corrected, stuffing her folders into her locker. "Lydia, they're fourteen."

"I don't know," I piped up. "They are fun to play with."

Lydia smiled at me. "Surprisingly, I agree with Blaise."

"You know it's okay to be single," the brunette murmured. "Focus on yourself for a while..."

Lydia and I snorted at the same time. "Bullshit," I scoffed. "Men are no good. They're fun to play with for a while, then they want to get serious and..." I scrunched up my nose. "Ehk. Be a player, Allison. It's more fun."

"Exactly," Lydia agreed. "I don't want a boyfriend." She put a hand on the locker and leaned closer to the brunette. "I want a distraction." Then she turned and stared at the school entrance for a moment too long to be normal. I followed her gaze to see what she was looking at.

Two boys, who were identical to each other, strolled in. They held their motorcycle helmets in their hands and wore leather jackets. They were extremely attractive, but to me it screamed douchebag. I could see Lydia thought otherwise.

"Brothers?" Allison asked. Lydia shook her head, smiling with pure joy.

"No. Twins."

Twins. As I looked closer, they started to look familiar. Had I met them before?