25. haunted history

listen to: shake it out - florence and the machine

I AM A TERRIBLE PERSON FOR MAKING YOU GUYS WAIT SO LONG FOR AN UPDATE I'M SORRY

but this is a very, very important part to blaise's character development, so please take the time to read carefully. hope you enjoy :)

↣ ↣ ↣

The ashes covered the ground beneath me, blending into the dusty road I stood on.

My head swiveled from side to side, surveying the houses made out of wood and the old beggars sitting on the street. People whispered to each other in Old Italian, the language that was my native tongue. The stench of rotting bodies and death filled the air and I was suddenly nostalgic.

This was the place where I was born.

People walked past me as if I wasn't even there. I felt like a ghost trying to get the attention of somebody so they could tell me what the hell was going on.

Then I remembered.

I was dead.

But why had the Universe brought me here? Was it because of my promise of not being at peace until Stiles was? Or maybe because Death simply wanted to curse me with eternal suffering, so he sent me back to watch Italy fall into an era filled with the Plague?

I shook my head. For whatever reason the Universe took me back to 1300, I didn't know. But I was determined to find out.

The bare pads of my feet stepped out of my circle of ashes and onto the dusty road. Even when I was out of the ashes, people avoided me like I was the Black Plague itself. I truly was a ghost of a memory in my own hometown.

But the lack of attention I received didn't diminish my supernatural abilities.

A faint noise nearby compelled me to turn my head. I scanned the area: the grass was bright against the dirt road's dull color, whipping in the wind while a large tree stood tall in the center of the field. There was something about the tree that seemed familiar, but I was too focused on the person who stood in front of it to notice.

Taking a step closer, I realized it was a girl. She stood on her tiptoes and stretched her arms out with a groan. She was stark naked, but it didn't seem to bother her. Her long, ink black hair contrasted against her pale skin and it was then I decided that she was utterly beautiful.

Suddenly, she turned towards me. For a second, she was just as startled as I was, but then her lips broke out into a confident smile.

"Hello," was all she said. Her voice was silky smooth, captivating me.

I couldn't reply. I was bewildered. Her irises glowed a relaxing lavender as she grinned at me.

The girl was me.

"H-How is this possible?" I asked, my voice barely above a whisper. "Why are you the only one who can see me?"

"Because I am the only one who can save you," she said.

"But..." I ran a hand through my mangled hair, trying to make sense of the scene unfolding before me. "But you are me."

"Exactly." Her smile faded slightly. "But I am not the same person you are now."

She stepped closer to me, studying my face. Honestly, I was intimidated. She spoke with such ease and confidence that it was hard not to respect her. Is this how I used to be?