Chapter 10 - Why Did You Do That?

Billy parked his car in front of Anna Grace's house. He got out of his car and was immediately greeted by the screams of other partygoers from the backyard. He followed the screams and indistinct conversations into Anna Grace's backyard. Billy's eyes immediately locked onto Bradley, who was holding Susie Pikes' legs and Dominic Anderson held her arms, ready to throw her into the pool. Anna Grace, Betty Baker, Ruby Gardner and Susie's brother, Joshua, watched the three from their umbrella shaded table. The girl's scream echoed as the two boys released her flying into the pool. Bradley walked back over to his table, where his drink was, and chugged the rest of it. Billy started walking towards Brad, garnering looks from his other classmates who were surprised to see him at a party.

"Willy! You made it!" Brad exclaimed, running over to Billy and embracing him with a soaking wet hug.

"What the hell, Bradley! You couldn't have dried off a bit?"

"The clothes are coming off anyway, right? Come on, get in the pool with us."

"Why did Anna Grace even throw a pool party in November?"

"Did you just come here to be a buzzkill or are you here for some fun?"

"Neither, I need to talk to. About Brenda."

"What about her?"

Billy shifted his eyes around the backyard, noticing all the eyes aimed at them. "Can we do this somewhere more private?"

"Sure, but make it quick. I was about to dunk Anna Grace," Bradley agreed, leading Billy back to the front of Anna Grace's house.

Billy felt his heart drop as he realized he was about to ask a question that could end their friendship. He was terrified of what the outcome was going to be.

"What's up, dude?" Bradley asked.

"I found one of Brenda's old friends. Her name is Sally Barker and I called her today. She said you... she said you and Brenda were hooking up for two years," Billy began, his bottom lip started quivering and he could feel tears in his eyes starting to form. "While me and her were together and that you guys went to parties together."

Bradley's expression was blank. He didn't look sad or angry. Billy wiped a tear off his face and waited for a response.

"Is it true?" Billy asked, demanding an answer.

"You really think I'd make any kind of moves on your girlfriend? Really? Of course it's not true," Bradley explained, a look of anger creeping on his face.

"Why would this Sally girl lie? She barely knows us."

"She was probably just repeating some bullshit Brenda told her. Two Fridays ago, Brenda showed up to a party and I was there. She walked up to me and kept being all touchy-feely with me and I pushed her away. Multiple times. You can ask anyone who was at that party. They'll tell you I rejected her countlessly. She probably made up that story hoping it would somehow get back to you."

"If this is true, why didn't you tell me?"

"I was going to, but you got suspended from school and then Brenda died, and it just didn't feel right. You loved her. Why would I rip her away from you a second time?"

Tears started streaming down Billy's face. He felt pain from finding out about Brenda, but mostly relief. Knowing that, even when they weren't at their closest, Bradley would still preserve their friendship made him cry.

"Why are you crying, man? I promise I'm telling the truth."

"I know. That's why. I came here expecting the worse and thought I was going to leave here without you as my friend."