Chapter 4 - Hey Billy; Hi Peter

"Brenda Richard was found with several deep cuts along her neck and torso. The knife used was still in her when we arrived and we're currently checking it for DNA matches of everyone close to her. We are doing everything we can to find out who killed your girlfriend. Do you have any clue who could have done this?"

Everything the detective was saying to Billy was being drowned out. He didn't believe it was real. He wanted to leave and go hug Brenda. He wanted to kiss her. He couldn't.

"Mr. Coleridge," the detective said, trying to gain Billy's attention.

He didn't budge.

"Son, do you have any idea who could have done this," the detective asked once more.

Billy finally turned and made eye contact with the detective.

"No, I don't," he spoke, with sadness in his voice. Everything seemed fake. He wanted, at any moment, to wake up from this nightmare.

"Well if you hear anything, let us know," the detective asked, standing up and walking out.

Billy was left in the room by himself. He turned to the one way glass and saw himself. Tears started to fall. All he could think about is how distant he was. She'd come to his house, and he'd make up a lie. She'd call his house phone, and he'd ignore it. He was blaming himself for not being there. To protect her from whoever killed her. Maybe, just maybe, he could have saved her from this.

~

Billy lay back down on his bed after making it home. He buried his face into his pillow and just let it all out. His anger, his sadness, his disgust. Who could have done this? Who took her life?

Billy's tears put him to sleep. He slept for an hour before he was woken up by rocks ticking at his window. He rubbed his eyes and walked over to the window. He opened up the blinds and was greeted by Sarah.

"Hey, Sarah," Billy said, swinging open the window.

"Hi," Sarah sniffled. He could hear the pain in her voice. He was so focused on himself he didn't stop to think about everyone else struggling. Brenda's parents, Denise, Sarah, Margaret, Linda and Melissa, "Can you come down?"

Billy didn't want to leave his room, but he knew he had to go comfort his friend. He knew he'd regret it later if he didn't.

He came down the stairs and walked out of the front door. He walked up to Sarah and immediately embraced her. They stood there for five minutes just hugging. Crying.

"I can't believe this happened," Sarah cried into Billy's chest.

"Me either," Billy sobbed back, hugging her tighter.

"Do you have any idea who could have done this," Sarah asked, pulling away.

"I don't, do you," Billy asked, wiping tears from his eyes.

"No- shit, sorry," Sarah lightly chuckled while pointing at the snot on Billy's shirt.

"Ah fuck. It's alright," Billy smiled, disgusted.

Billy and Sarah talked for hours. Not even thinking about the fact that Sarah had to go to school in the morning. They comforted each other in their time of loss. They'd always been close. Even when Brenda was alive. Sarah was basically his wing-woman. They rarely got in fights and when they did, they'd be back to normal in a day.