Chapter 3 - She's Dead

For the rest of the day, Billy stayed in his room. He stared at the ceiling with an ice pack on his fist. He thought about Peter. If he was okay. From the pain in his fist, he assumed the damage was pretty bad. He ignored every call to his house and just sat in silence. He didn't want to know what he had done or if he was kicked out of school or if Brenda was gonna break up with him. Each time his mind wandered to that place, he started to cry.

A soft knock was heard at his door.

"William, sweetie, it's me," his mom spoke. Her soft voice accompanied with the soft knock was enough to send tears down Billy's face.

"Please go away, Mom," Billy responded. He felt bad about everything and couldn't stand to see the disappointment on his mom's face.

"Open the door, William," she asked, still using her soft voice.

Billy caved. He stood up and hesitantly walked over to the door. He unlocked the door and placed his hand on the knob. He turned it slowly and started to see his mom's face. She was upset. It was noticeable. Billy's lip started quivering and he fell into his mom's arms and cried.

"I don't know what's wrong with me, Mom" he cried, holding onto her.

"Nothing's wrong with you. Sometimes we let our emotions get the best of us. I know who you are and I know you'd never do anything without a reason. It doesn't make what you did okay, but I'm not gonna scold you for it," she consoled.

Billy pulled away wiping away his tears with a faint smile on his face.

"Are they kicking me out of school," Billy asked, hesitantly. He was too afraid to know the answer.

"Luckily, no. When that Peter kid woke up, he took most of the blame. He told the principal that he was instigating and he deserved it," his Mom stated.

"Why would Peter do that for me" Billy thought to himself.

"You're suspended for the rest of the week. They said if nothing like this happens again, they'll wipe it from your record so it won't affect your chances of going to college."

"Well, that's good I guess. I really am sorry," Billy reiterated.

"Tell Peter that, you're going to his house to apologise tomorrow," his mom announced

Billy's heart dropped. He didn't want to see Peter. What would he say? He can't just say sorry and go.

"Do I have to," Billy asked.

"Yes, William. Unless you want Peter's family to hate us for life. They're good people for not begging for your expulsion," his mom demanded.

He nodded. Tomorrow he's gonna have to face Peter and see what he did to him.

~

Billy's heart started racing faster as his car got closer to Peter's house. He could feel his palms getting sweaty. He took both hands off the wheel quickly to wipe his hands on his pants.

"I should just turn back and say I went," he spoke aloud to himself.

He processed the idea and realised his mom would be even more disappointed if he skipped this.

He pulled up to Peter's house and parked in the driveway. He took several deep breaths before finally getting out of the car. He looked down and wiped the lint off of his black shirt. He took one last deep breath before walking right up to Peter's door. He thought about turning back again. He went to knock and the door swung right open.

"Hey, buddy," Peter spoke, with a huge smile on his face.

"Hi, Peter," Billy responded, with zero enthusiasm.