Chapter 21 - He's Up To No Good, I Presume

"Let me get this straight: Dominic Anderson killed Brenda, Bradley and Denise killed Chandler Selsman, and now Denise is M.I.A.???" Sarah was not expecting to hear all of this when she came to Billy's. They had just decided to stop looking for clues, but now everything was solved. It had been Dominic the whole time.

"Keep your voice down, Billy's mom's home. And we didn't kill him," Bradley frowned.

"You watched him die and didn't get help, so I'm failing to see a difference."

Bradley felt a slight sting in his chest at Sarah's words. It still didn't feel real for him. Partly because he'd kept it a secret for so long.

"If you have any ideas on how to take Dominic down let us know," Billy muttered.

"Just one: we tell the cops."

All three boys groaned in disagreement.

"Denise and I will be thrown in jail."

Sarah glared at him with plain expression. "You two had the chance to save him and you didn't. I don't see a good reason why you shouldn't go to jail. If we tell the cops about Dominic, Brenda gets justice. That's what we should be focused on."

"Okay, I hear you, but Bradley and Denise are our friends too. They made a mistake. A terrible fucking mistake. What they did is nothing compared to what happened to Brenda," Billy defended.

"I'm not seeing a difference."

"Because you don't know what happened to her. I do. The cops told me everything in detail. Her body had several deep cuts along her neck and torso, she was bruised and beaten, and they said she struggled. Does that sound even remotely similar to two high teenagers screwing around and making a horrible, horrible mistake? One that they've clearly never moved on from?"

Sarah's eyes were glossy and she was fidgeting her hands. She pushed her hair behind her ears and nodded, letting a tear fall. "Okay. I'm sorry."

Billy pulled Sarah closer into a side hug.

"First things first, we need to find Denise. We need to check every spot she goes to and call all her friends," Peter suggested.

The idea was put on a brief pause when Billy's mom walked in. "Hi Sarah, Peter... Bradley. Are you and Billy friends again?"

"Hi, Mrs. C! Me and Billy never stopped being friends, that I know of."

"Oh, I just haven't seen you since that one time you came to see him at the hospital last month and thought it might have been a one off. My apologies."

"Mom, we're kind of doing something here."

"Right, sorry. I'm heading out to meet a friend from work. I'll be back before midnight. I love you, Billy!"

"I love you, too."

"Peter, Sarah, and Bradley, it was nice seeing you again."

They all waved her goodbye as she walked out of the door. The second the door shut, the plan was officially in motion.

Peter, Bradley, and Sarah all walked to the phone with Billy limping closely behind. As Sarah reached for the phone, the phone and it's housing began to vibrate with a loud ring coming from it, causing the four teens to jump.

"Sarah, answer it," Billy exclaimed.

Sarah picked up the phone and slowly brought up to her ear, greeting the stranger on the other end with a soft "hello." The boys all watched her react to whatever the person on the other end was saying.

"This is Sarah, I'm at Billy's right now."

The call lasted for three minutes. Sarah put the phone back in it's housing and made eye contact with the boys.