Chapter 6 - Brenda Wasn't Innocent

Billy's shirt was drenched in sweat. He was breathing heavily and couldn't seem to wake himself out of the nightmare. He was groaning, screaming and crying.

"William, honey, are you alright in there," his mom asked, knocking on the door.

She got no response. Just the same muffled sounds coming from the door. She opened the door and saw an asleep Billy with his sheets on the floor and his body spread out across the area of the bed. His heavy breathing was visible. His mom walked over to his bed and sat on the edge.

"Billy, wake up honey," she pleaded, slightly shaking him. He was still asleep. "William, wake up," she pleaded once more in a louder tone, shaking him a little harder.

Billy finally woke up and took a big inhale. He immediately felt the sweat on his back. He lifted his body up and saw the large puddle of sweat he was laying in.

"Fuck," he groaned, stretching his arms, "did I wake you up?"

"No, I was already awake and I heard you screaming and crying. I started panicking. I thought-" she started.

"Oh. You don't have to worry about me. I'm 17, I can take care of myself," Billy attempted to console.

"Brenda was 17 too Billy. I've always had the underlying fear that one day you might leave this house and never come home. Now knowing it happened to Brenda? Someone so close to you? I'm terrified something bad could happen to you too," Billy's mom vented.

Billy pulled his mother into a hug. Tears started to form in his eyes. Seeing his mom so broken started to make him angry. He wanted her to feel safe.

"What time is it," Billy asked.

"It's 2:30 A.M." his mom responded, pointing at his alarm clock.

"We should both get back to sleep. I love you, mom," Billy said softly, with his hand on her shoulder.

She placed her hand on his cheek and pursed her lips. She wiped a tear from her eye and left Billy's room.

The second the door shut, Billy sprung out of his bed. He rummaged around his laundry basket to find a shirt to change into. Billy flung off his sweat-soaked shirt and pulled out a black tee. He sat down on the edge of his bed for a moment, putting the shirt on, before walking over to his desk. He pulled out a sheet of paper and a pencil and started writing.

"WHO KILLED BRENDA," he wrote at the top of the paper. Billy sat back in his chair and thought.

"It could have been anyone," he thought to himself. "Ashley Kravitz, Madison Taylor, Jonathan Taylor, her parents, Mr. Crutch, Sarah, Peter, Denise."

Billy immediately shook the last three from his head. "There's no way Sarah killed her. And Denise and Peter already proved their innocence. This doesn't make any sense. Why the hell would anyone want to kill Brenda?"

After 15 minutes of thinking, Billy got up and went downstairs to get a glass of water. He tiptoed quietly to not wake his mom. He went to his cupboard and grabbed a glass. He held his glass under the faucet and turned it on, letting the cup fill up almost all the way.

Billy stood by the sink, drinking his water until he felt a cold chill go throughout his body after a knock was heard at the front door. He opened up the knife drawer and grabbed the biggest one out before walking slowly over to the door. Billy unlocked the door and took a deep breath. He maneuvered the knife between both his hands, wiping the palms of his free hand on his pajama pants. He slowly opened the door revealing nothing. He looked down and saw a sealed envelope. He quickly grabbed it, shut and locked the door and scurried back to his room.