Chapter 5 - I'm Being Set Up

"I didn't do it," Denise pleaded, tears falling down her face. She couldn't believe she was even a suspect.

"Listen, we found your DNA at the crime scene and we found footprints. Footprints that belong to someone who was wearing heels," the detective explained.

"I've been to Brenda's house before, that could explain why my DNA is there. I've touched things in her house. And I don't even wear high heels. My mom told me they're for whores," Denise cried, barely able to breathe. She felt like she was going to have an anxiety attack.

"Ms. Hal, we have enough evidence to convict you, so I'd suggest telling the truth. It'll make it much easier for you and for us," the detective sneered, using reverse psychology to try and get Denise to confess.

"I'm telling you, I didn't do it. I'm being set up," Denise whaled.

The interrogation room door swung open. A man in a beige suit stepped in.

"Hello, my name is Darren Brown and I'm the lawyer of Denise Hal. Her bail has been posted. Let's go, sweetheart," he spoke at a faster rate than most people.

Denise let out a huge exhale. She hadn't even realised she was holding her breath. She stood up out of her chair and left the room. It felt like a huge weight was lifted off her shoulder. She then remembered she was still a murder suspect.

"How could anyone think I killed Brenda? I loved Brenda," Denise thought to herself.

She walked out of the police station with tears falling down her face. When she opened the final door to the outside, she made eye contact with the one person she knew hurt more from this than her.

"Why the fuck is she outside," Billy shouted, his face was flushed red.

"Billy, I know what you think, but I promi-," Denise started before Billy cut her off.

"I don't want to hear it. You killed Brenda. You're going to pay for this," Billy screamed, taking no exhales during, making him out of breath.

"I didn't kill Brenda. I swear I didn't. Please just let me explain," Denise sobbed, hoping Billy would understand.

"Save it," Billy sneered, starting to walk off.

"I was with Peter that night," Denise shouted, trying to get Billy to come back.

Billy turned around. His deep frown turned into a plain expression. He started walking back to Denise, maintaining eye contact the whole time.

"If you were with Peter, why didn't you say that when you were arrested," Billy questioned, trying to call Denise's bluff.

"My parent's were sitting right there. If I said I was hanging out with a boy, they'd ship me off to my grandmother's," Denise stopped to take a breath. Tears were still streaming down her face. "I'd much rather spend a couple hours getting interrogated for something I didn't do, than get sent away for something I did."

Billy stood there, gathering his thoughts.

"That's fucking stupid. You could have gone to prison," Billy spat.

"I know, I didn't think it through. Thankfully, my parents have a good lawyer," she exhaled. All of this was clouding her mind and making her forget to breathe. Ever since she was little she had that problem. She's get so overwhelmed and forget to breathe.

"I'm sorry I got so heated. I jumped to the conclusion and I didn't let you explain and I'm just a shitty person," Billy ranted before Denise interrupted him.

"No, it's fine. Honestly, if it were me I'd jump to the same conclusion. The detectives said it was me and we're supposed to trust the law and it's enforcers," Denise concurred.