Housebound.

"Your body is responding to the stress you're holding."

Thursday

James winced as she opened her eyes, they were crusty dry tears across her face. She must have fallen asleep at some point, her eye was throbbing. Her stomach felt sore as she sat up and James...didn't know how she felt.

She frowned playing with the fringe of the blanket, she remembered being on the floor but Kota must have fixed the bed and put her on it.

Her eyes widened as she looked across the room, there wasn't a mess in sight.

"I picked everything up," Kota spoke lowly as he came out of the bathroom, "I know you said you didn't care but...What happened-I'm sorry James."

James felt embarrassed blushing, "It's stupid crying over a couple of books and some pictures," She shifted in her seat, "I shouldn't have gotten so-"

"James," Kota spoke sternly cutting her off. He moved so he was sitting next to her, tilting her head slightly. "That's not stupid. Your aloud to be upset over things."

She swallowed rubbing the back of her neck, "I can be upset but it's not gonna fix it, I've spent my life being upset over the thing's I can't control I-I'm trying to be better."

She needed to be better.

Kota's eyes softened, "You can't control everything sweetie, and I understand what your trying to do." He paused, "But you can't set unrealistic expectations for yourself, you're allowed to have feelings. You just have to process through them not ignore them. Ignoring the issue won't make it go away."

James felt tears spring to her eyes, "I've lost a lot of stuff over the years you know? I don't have a home, not a real one and...I guess I'm used to not having a lot of things. I don't mind that I don't need a lot. Clothes come and go, places to sleep, shoes, I don't care." She whispered her voice choppy, "Those books though I could escape in them when-and my art."

He wiped off the tears coming down her face and carefully picked her up placing her on his lap. "You can keep anything you want at my house, I know it must be-" She quickly placed her hand on his mouth stopping him from speaking.

She tilted her head hearing creaks in the steps leading up to her room. She shot a wide-eyed look to Kota who seemed to understand, quickly setting her down she glanced back towards the door turning to look for Kota only too find he was nowhere in sight.

She pretended to be making her bed as the doorknob twisted open. Beatrice slowly eyed the whole room eyes dark.

"Good, you've already cleaned up your mess." Beatrice sang sweetly a wicked smile on her face as she moved further into the room. "That'll save you a lot of time,"

James blinked standing up straighter, keeping her mouth shut as Beatrice moved further into the room inspecting her.

"Have you honestly been crying?" The woman shook her head moving to clutch James's cheek. "Who have you been fighting with? Is it that boyfriend Veronica mentioned? Speak up."

James flushed with embarrassment, she was sure Kota was in the room listening and it made her feel even more ashamed, she suddenly wished she didn't agree to them staying the night. First, he has to deal with the mess her family left next he has to hear this.

"I don't have a boyfriend." James kept her tone light and quiet, locking eyes with the women before her.

Beatrice raised an eyebrow, "Veronica told me you were with some boy at the mall when you should have been working. Next, your coming in late drunk waking everyone up as you stumble around my home."