Chapter 25 - Of dragons and virgins

Start from the beginning

Her hair hung loosely around her bowed head, hiding most of her face, but Dean could see her fist was clenched.

Goddammit! Way to go, Sammy.

Sam was painfully aware of the sudden tension in the car and just sat in his seat, looking straight ahead. Dean turned his own music up a bit louder. Every chance he got, he caught Allegra's reflection in the mirror. The tear-shaped drops on the newspaper didn't go unnoticed.

***

Allegra acknowledged her mistake of not getting some shut-eye whilst being on the road. That close to Sam and with him literally stuck in place, she could've easily lowered the shield a little to replenish her strength. She was so sleep-deprived she was beginning to act like some Resident Evil zombie. It came to the point that she could barely speak in full sentences. This, and the fact that she couldn't even zap to the other side of the door, prompted Dean to leave her behind in the motel when he and Sam went out to hunt for clues. 
Allegra waited for the Winchesters to return, curled up on one of the beds. She still wouldn't sleep even though she was exhausted. She couldn't. If she slept whilst this far away from Sam, and something happened, she would never forgive herself. So she let her body rest whilst her mental state worked overtime, keeping up the shield from miles away.

The conversation she overheard in the car helped keep her awake. Allegra replayed Sam's words in her mind. If Sam had assumed a year and a half ago that Dean might've tried to have a normal life with her, then he must've also assumed Dean would have a reason to want that to happen. And Veritas made Dean admit he wanted Allegra to be part of his family. Meaning...

No... No, he can't be. I've hurt him, I've fought with him, I've done everything to make him leave.

But you've also done everything to make him stay. You do everything you can to take the weight off his shoulders and drop everything the minute he calls you. And you've given him hope. Every touch, every embrace, every kiss... He knows you love him. Why shouldn't he love you back?

'So you want Dean to end up like Eric?'

The key turned in the lock. Allegra shut her eyes firmly as the Winchesters entered the room. She was so relieved Sam was in the same room she was in. Now, if he would only stay for a couple of hours... Footsteps drew near to the bed. Allegra stayed as still as she could when she sensed Dean near her. She felt a blanket being laid on top of her. The swift but gentle caress of Dean's fingers against her cheek almost made her open her eyes.

"She asleep?" asked Sam quietly.

"Yeah, finally," replied Dean. "I was starting to get worried."

There was silence, and Allegra wondered what was happening. Dean cleared his throat and stepped away.

"You mind watching her? I'll go get us some food."

"Yeah, sure, go. I got her."

The door to the room opened and closed as he left. She held her breath as Sam now drew near. He sat on the edge of the bed.

"Dean told me you've been taking care of me. I guess I was wrong about you."

Allegra felt Sam's hand on her shoulder, and she swore she felt her heart skip a beat. It was the first time he touched her like that. So... caring. His whispering voice sent a shiver down her spine.

"I'm sorry I ever doubted you. I'll do better this time around, I promise."

***

Virgins. That's what all the victims had in common. They were all virgins. Except for that one girl who had been faking it by wearing a promise ring, saying her first time didn't count. Yeah, too bad it didn't really work that way. The baddies could just sniff out who was and who wasn't. Oh, and those baddies? Dragons. Just not the huge, winged dinosaur-like creatures from movies or The Hobbit. Well, they did have wings. And they liked gold and dark places like caves. And they kidnapped virgins. So the fairy tales were right about that...