Chapter Four

Chapter Four

            I woke up after only two hours of sleep. It wasn’t even a really good sleep. Max was right, I felt like I didn’t need it. I wanted to sleep, but I wasn’t tired at all. I decided that I would get up and wonder around the house a little bit. Everyone else was in their rooms and I probably wouldn’t run into anyone, so I got up and tip toed out my door.

            I made my way down the hall past several closed doors which I assumed were rooms belonging to the rest of the family. I quietly made my way down the stairs, through the entry way, passed the living room, and entered the room across from the dining room. It was a rather sizable library. Books lined every wall and several bookcases divided the room. As I began to look through them, I felt a presence behind me. I turned to see who it was and ran right into a well-toned chest.

            “Sorry.” I whispered as I looked up to see Max staring down at me. His eyes looked glazed over as he stared intently at me. “I didn’t mean to…” I started before Max placed his finger on my lips to stop me. Just from that slight contact I felt a spark run through me.

            “What are you doing out of your room?” He breathed out in a deep gravelly voice I wasn’t used to, it made me shiver involuntarily.

            “I just…” I started before he placed his finger over my lips again having the same affect as the last time.

            “Why are you dressed like that? You really should be wearing more clothing.” He whispered as he moved my hair off of my shoulder and began rubbing the spot where he bit me. I took in a sharp breath; his breathing was more of a pant.

            “Max…” I said taking in a gasp of air. His face nuzzled my neck as he took a deep breath.

            “Yes?” He asked dreamily.

            “Why won’t you let me answer your questions?” I asked laughing lightly.

            With that he took a step back, his face hardened a little. “Go ahead.” He stated bluntly.

            “I couldn’t sleep. So I thought I would look around a bit. I’m sorry I intruded, I will go back to my room.” I replied. I could feel tears fill my eyes, but I refused to let them fall which caused my throat to tighten.

            “Oh.” Was all he said. I turned to leave, he didn’t stop me.

            I quickly made my way back the way I came and entered my room before I could really breathe again. The time passed slowly, but soon the sun started to peer through the window. I sat on the floor next to my bed putting my head in my hands. I couldn’t understand what was happening. First he says I’m welcomed there for as long as I want to stay and then he acts all grumpy when I decide to wonder around the house. I took a deep breath and decided to try out my newly bettered senses. I opened my eyes and stared intently at the carpet in front of me. It wasn’t how carpet usually looked, not with my new vampire eyesight. I could see every fiber, what I generalized as off-white colored carpet, was really many different colored threads mixed together. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath, breathing in through my nose I started to dissect the different scents around me. I could actually smell the sunshine. It was warm and smelled like all things summer; even though it was fall outside, the smell of sun warmed my whole body. I took another deep breath and tried to listen closely to anything that was going on outside of my room. I could hear people talking, but I couldn’t make out what they were saying. That would have concerned me, but since the people talking were vampires too, I figured they had the ability to speak quiet enough that another vampire couldn’t hear them. I would have to have Maggie teach me how to do that.