Chapter Twenty-Seven

            I was crushed at what I saw. Nick, my Nick, and Martha were making-out in the elevator. My eyes stung as they filled with tears, my vision became blurry. They pulled apart and saw me, Martha gave me a confused look; Nick gave me a shocked expression. Before anyone could say anything, I ran. I didn’t know where I was going, but I took off to the stairwell, flew down the stairs and out the front doors of my building. I didn’t stop until I reached the forest.

            I collapsed next to a tree and started sobbing. Why did stuff like that keep happening to me? I knew something bad was going to happen, but I didn’t think that Nick would be the one to hurt me. He was so sweet and a gentleman. How could he go and make-out with someone he didn’t know in the elevator on his way to meet my friends. How could Martha go and do that? Sure, she had never me Nick before, but still! The only reason for their behavior I could think of was that they were mates. Nick was really devoted to me; the only way I could see him cheating on me was if he was someone’s mate.

            That just infuriated me even more. Every time I liked a guy, he ended up mating with someone else. I knew it would happen to Will, he was a shifter; but Nick, he was a human. The chances of him being the mate of a vampire was like a one in a million, not to mention a vampire I knew.

            I got up and decided to head to the bar. I could really use a drink. I walked to my bar, I was still crying as I sat on a bar stool.

            “Hey, hottie. What can I get you?” I heard Jack ask. Why me, the one time I come to the bar on my night off and Jack had to be the one to serve me.

            I looked up at him with my tear stained face. His smile faded when he saw that I had been crying. “A scotch would be nice.” I said softly.

            “You okay, Annabelle? Who upset you?” he asked. I was surprised by the genuine concern in his voice.

            “I’m fine, I just really could use a drink.” I replied. He poured my scotch and set it on the counter. He watched me as I drank the whole thing in one go. “Can I have another one?” I asked. He watched me carefully as he poured more scotch into my glass.

            “Did Nick do this?” he asked anger evident in his voice.

            “I really don’t want to talk about it.” I replied taking a small sip of my drink this time.

            “Where is he? I’ll kick his ass!” Jack said. His face was turning red.

            “Leave it, Jack. I can handle the situation all by myself.” I sighed taking another sip of my scotch.

            Jack didn’t say anything else, he just stared at me. I was beginning to feel very lively. I really wanted to pull Jack across the counter and kiss him roughly. I calmed myself a little as I devised a plan to get him alone.

“Do you have a break coming up?” I asked him.

            He gave me a confused look. “Yeah, why.”

            “Can we talk?” I asked. “Privately.” I added.

            “Yeah, sure. I’ll go get on of the guys to cover me.” He said smiling softly at me. I was sure he thought I wanted to talk about what happened, but I really just wanted to play with him a little.

            One of the guys came to cover him, I hadn’t met him before.

            “I’ll be back in thirty.” Jack told the man. He was taking his lunch break to talk to me. I thought that was very sweet.

            He walked out from behind the counter and made his way over to me.

            “Mind if we go outside?” I asked batting my eyelashes a little.

            “Not at all, I should grab my jacket.” He said turning to go to the back room.

            “That won’t be necessary.” I said smiling.

            He laughed. “Okay.”

            We walked outside. He was starting to head down the street, but I pulled him into the alley next to the bar. Before he could say anything, I shoved him against the wall and roughly kissed him. It didn’t take long for him to react and kiss me back. He tried to turn us so that I was against the wall, but I wasn’t having it. I pushed his shoulders roughly so that he was still pinned to the wall. I pressed my body against his, he groaned in response. I wrapped my arms around his neck and pulled his face even closer to mine as I slipped my tongue into his mouth. He moaned as our tongues fought for dominance. I won, of course. He tried to turn us once again; I let him this time so that my back was against the wall. I jumped up and wrapped my legs around his waist. I began to suck on the base of his neck eliciting a moan from him. He whispered my name in a pant as I grazed my teeth against his skin. I hadn’t drunk from a human since my first time at another bar many months before, but I was going to again. I kissed him once more on his lips; I kissed down his throat and across his collar bone. I growled softly as I bit into his skin. He moaned my name in arousal. He tried to grind against me, but I stilled him. I drank from him for a few minutes. I could feel him getting weak so I stopped. I licked the wound I had just given him and watched it heal. I sucked on the skin around the bite mark so he just looked like he had a hickey. I climbed off of him and wiped my mouth before looking at him. I placed a soft kiss on his lips. He pulled me close to him; I wrapped my arms around him and rest my head on his chest.

            “Thank you.” I whispered.

            “Any time.” He said dreamily.

            “Jack!” I heard someone yell. “Dude, where are you? Your break was over five minutes ago.” The male voice said angrily.

            Jack gave me a soft kiss on my lips. “I’ll see you tomorrow.” I whispered in his ear before biting it gently. I felt him shiver against me as a moan escaped his lips. Before he could say anything, I left.

            I had been away from home for over an hour. I had hoped that the family would assume I would not be back for a while and leave, so I headed home. I opened my door to see my apartment empty. I sighed in relief and headed to my room. I took a hot shower and then crawled into bed. My little excursion with Jack had made me feel a lot better. I was tired and I fell instantly asleep.