Chapter Twenty-Three

            The eyes were familiar. There was something very animalistic about them as they stared into mine.

            “Max?” I whispered. I place my hands between us on his chest and gently pushed. He didn’t budge.

            He took each of my hands into his and pinned them against the wall. He managed to get even closer to me.

            “Mine.” He growled.

            His head moved closer to mine, sparks tingled throughout my entire body. Instead of kissing my lips like I anticipated, he kissed lightly along my jaw until he reached my ear. He gently nibbled my ear, I whimper. He placed kisses down my neck to my collar bone until he reached the spot where he bit me before. My whole body felt like it was on fire. I was panting; I could hear his breathing become ragged. I felt his fangs graze against the mark he left when he turned me. I took a sharp breath wanting him to bite me again.

            “Max.” I whimpered with need. He managed to get his body even closer to mine. I could feel his hard chest on mine. We breathed in unison.

            He placed a gentle kiss on my mark before he moved so that we were face to face once again. He stared into my eyes, they were softer than before. He leaned in and placed a gentle kiss on my lips. As he pulled away I subconsciously leaned forward wanting him to kiss me again. He let go of my hands and wrapped his arms around my waist and pulled me even closer than before, I didn’t think that was possible. I wrapped my arms around his neck. I thought he was going to kiss me again, but instead he nuzzled my neck and took in a deep breath as he hugged me. I hugged him back and placed a soft kiss on the place where his neck met his shoulder.

            “I’m so glad you are happy.” He whispered in my ear. I felt him loosen his hold on me. I let go of his neck and leaned back so that I could look at his beautiful face.  Instead of looking back at me, he pulled away completely. Before I could ask him what was wrong, he was gone. My heart ached; I slid down the wall until I was sitting on the floor. I couldn’t understand why he left, why didn’t he stay. I brought my knees to my chest and rest my head on my legs as I began to cry. How could he say that I was happy? I wasn’t happy at all. I was miserable. I had lost everything. I loved Will, I lost him. I loved Max, he didn’t return my affection. I used to be so independent and now all I could think about was how empty my life was without Max.

            A week later, I had finally found a job. I was hired at a bar that was a block away from my apartment. I worked the shift just before the closing shift. Thanks to my letter from Will, it was easy to get hired. I worked almost every night, but I enjoyed it, it got my mind off of Max.

            “Hey, Annabelle, don’t forget your tips.” My boss, Sully, reminded me as got my stuff from my locker.

            “Thanks, Sully, I almost forgot.” I replied.

            Sully was handsome, but too old for me, he was almost forty, not to mention he was married. I was one of three female bartenders, the rest were all guys. I never got to work with any of the others; Sully had the three of us scheduled so that one of us was always working. He said we drew in business. I normally worked with a guy named Jack. He was pretty hot, but really cocky. He knew he was hot and constantly assumed that I was into him. On weekends Jack and I worked with Nick. He was cute, and really sweet. I really liked working with him, he was a gentleman. If customers were getting too creepy with me, he would finish making their drinks.

            “So, Annabelle, how about you, me and dinner?” Jack asked. He was about six foot tall, brown hair, and green eyes. He was pretty buff, but his ego made him unattractive.