Chapter Twenty

Chapter Twenty

            What was I supposed to say to that? It did freak me out. It is one thing to know that someone is in love with you and him telling you. He just stood there staring into my eyes trying to read my thoughts.

            “I scared you didn’t I?” He asked sounding distressed.

            “A little.” I fake smiled.

            “A lot.” He winced.

            “It’s just I don’t know what to say. I really like you, and I don’t want to hurt you.” I said softly.

            “I just wanted to tell you, I don’t want anything from you. You don’t have to say it back or anything. I just thought it so I said it.” He explained.

            “I’m sorry.”

            “Why?”

            “It’s not fair to you that I’m not in the same place as you. You deserve better.” I explained.

            “You don’t need to be in the same place as me. I am just happy I told you so I won’t have to hide it.” He smiled.

            “I do love you, just not the same way that you love me.”

            “Well, then I will just wait until you do.” He said flashing me a brilliant smile.

            “Sounds like a plan.” I replied smiling back up at him. He leaned in and placed a soft kiss on my lips. I was so relieved that he was okay. I was scared that I hurt him.

            “So, what else should we do today?” He asked wrapping an arm around my shoulder.

            “I don’t know. Do we have to work tonight?”

            “Nope, we have tonight off, but tomorrow is inventory night.”

            “So, let’s go tour the city?” I suggested.

            “Sounds like a plan.” He laughed.

            We were celebrating our two month anniversary when Will met Samantha. She was smart, pretty, and a human. It turned out that shifters mate just like vampires, and will hadn’t met his mate yet. He was so happy to meet her, until he remembered that he loved me. I put him out of his misery and broke up with him. I still lived there for two more months before I couldn’t take it anymore. I did love him, and he was happy. It was just heartbreaking to see them together and it was even worse when she moved in. She was so nice, and I liked her, but they were nauseating to be around. That was when I decided to head back to the family.

            I gave Sam a hug and Will a kiss on the cheek and left. Instead of heading back to Max’s house, I decided to stop at Jay’s place. It took a few hours to get there and when I did I took a deep breath before knocking on the door. I heard a woman’s voice and I instantly felt uncomfortable, he was on a date.

            “Annabelle!” The woman squealed as she opened the door.

            “Maggie!” I yelled as she pulled me into a tight hug.

            “What are you doing here?” Maggie asked.

            “I’m back. Will found his mate so I broke up with him, she moved in and I can’t take the constant clinginess.” I explained.

            “I’m afraid it’s not going to be much better here.” She said with a worried look.

            “Babe, who was it?” Jay asked coming in. “Annabelle! What are you doing here?”

            “Babe?” I asked. “Oh my gosh! You guys are seeing each other!” I smiled.

            “Are you okay with that?” Jay asked with the same worried look as Maggie appearing on his face.

            “Of course! I’m so happy for you two.” I replied honestly.

            “Great, please don’t tell my family though, they don’t know and I’m not ready for them to find out just yet. Oh! And we just got engaged!” Maggie squealed.

            “Wow! That’s wonderful. How long have you guys been dating?”

            “Since you left, so almost seven months.” Maggie replied.

            “Wow, Jay didn’t tell me when he found me a couple months ago.”

            “Sorry, you had your hands full.” Jay replied.

            “Yeah, well now they are completely empty. I know you guys just got engaged and everything but can I crash here tonight? I’ll look for my own place tomorrow.”

            “Of course!” Maggie exclaimed.

            “You aren’t going to move back to the house? I know Rose and Liam would be more than excited to see you again. They’ve missed you.” Said Jay.

            “I need my own place; I still can’t be around Max. I’ll be sure to go see them though.” I replied.

            “Max isn’t there.” Maggie said.

            “What?” I asked.

            “He still hasn’t come back from looking for you.” Jay replied.

            “Really?” I asked.

            “Yeah. I told you he was in love with you. He’s not going to stop until he finds you. I was surprised he didn’t find you right after Jay did.” Maggie said.

            “I’ll believe he loves me when he tells me himself.” I said.

            My phone rang. I saw that it was Will and I stepped out into the hall to take it.

            “Hello?” I said.

            “Hey, Annabelle. Just making sure you were okay.” Will said sounding concerned.

            “Yes, I’m staying at Jay’s.”

            “Good, at least I know you’re safe.”

            “Will, I’m a vampire, I’m always safe.”

            “I’ll call you later?”

            “Yeah, bye Will.”

            “Bye, Annabelle.”

            When I hung up I went back inside. Jay and Maggie gave me an expecting look.

            “It was Will, he was just checking up onme.” I said.

            “He still loves you.” Maggie said softly.

            “I still love him too, but he is with his mate, and I’m happy for him.” I sighed.

            We caught up for a while until I was tired so I curled up on the couch and they went to bed.