Chapter Three

Chapter Three

            I took a nice, long, hot shower. It felt intoxicating. I could feel the water trickle down my skin in a way that I never had before. I felt the bubbles from the soap as they floated down my arms. Even washing my hair felt even more amazing than I remembered. Not to mention the smell of the soaps. The label said it was apple scented, but it smelled like it was even more than that. It had a floral scent to it almost, like apple blossoms from the orchard.

            When I finally managed to end my shower, I got out and wrapped a big fluffy white towel around myself. I looked at myself in the mirror for a moment before searching the drawers for a hairbrush. I found one and started brushing my long hair. I sighed contently realizing that I didn’t have to bother styling my hair or putting on makeup. It was nice. I walked over to the closet and scoured the drawers for some under things. Luckily they still had the tags on them; because that probably would have grossed me out a little bit. Unluckily, the prices were still on them and they were really expensive. I was working as a part-time phlebotomist yesterday, which paid the bills and gave me a little extra spending money, but I would never have wasted it on fancy, lacey underwear. I sighed before carefully taking the tags off and putting them on.

            Most of the closet was filled with nice dresses. I liked them, but all I really wanted was a comfy pair of jeans and shirt. I decided since I wanted to make a nice impression that it would be best to put on a casual looking dress. I settled on a light blue cotton dress with a navy blue floral print on it. It was surprisingly comfortable. I grabbed a pair of gold ballet flats to wear with it and made my way back into the bedroom. My eyes widened when I saw Max casually lying down on the bed with a book. My insides burned with anger.

            “Really? Really?” I yelled. “What are you doing in here?”

            “I was going to escort you to the dining room.” He replied calmly.

            I laughed. “Oh, I’m sorry. Wait, no I’m not. You couldn’t just knock and wait for me to let you in?”

            “Nope.”

            I could feel myself getting angry again so I took a deep breath and tried to calm myself.

            “How do you do that?” He asked sitting up and staring into my eyes with curiosity.

            “Do what?” I asked confused.

            “Calm yourself. You’re a new vampire, you should be out of control and throwing a fit, breaking stuff.” He replied looking at me with amazement.

            “I don’t know, like I always have. I take a deep breath and rationalize with myself.” I mumbled.

            “But, you shouldn’t be able too. Your emotions are heightened. I’m surprised that you can even think a rational thought.”

            “Is that why you keep provoking me? You want me to snap?” I laughed. “I did snap, remember? I had you against the wall by your neck, and I really wanted to kill you. Shouldn’t you be happy I controlled myself?”

            “I’m very happy that you can control yourself, for many reasons, but I don’t understand how. You shouldn’t be able to.” he replied as he got up and made his way over to me. He placed his hand on my shoulder and rubbed his thumb against the place where he bit me. He was staring at my neck in almost a dreamlike state. It felt incredible, his hand. The spot where he bit me tingled as his thumb kept brushing over it. It felt like my whole body was on fire.