Chapter Two

Chapter Two

            I felt like screaming but nothing came out. I just stood there shocked. Slowly but surely, I was getting mad. Mad really wasn’t the right word, I was furious. He couldn’t just kill me and let me go to heaven; he turned me into a creature that I believe to be fictional, and definitely not of God.

            “Max, you’re scaring the poor girl to death. Get out! I will deal with this.” Maggie said to Max, snapping me out of my raging thoughts.

            Max left and Maggie closed the door. I just stood there staring at her cautiously. I was half expecting her to kill me right then and there, but I knew I wouldn’t be so lucky.

            “You must have many questions.” She started as she made her way over to me. “Have a seat and I will explain as much as I can to you.” She said softly as she took my hand and led me to the bed. I sat down and she sat across from me at the foot of the bed. I rest my head on the headboard and closed my eyes.

            “So, I am a vampire.” I mumbled more to myself than Maggie.

            “Yes, as am I and Max and the rest of the household.” She replied.

            “Where am I?” I asked realizing that I must not even be in my hometown any more.

            “We live inGrants Pass,Oregon. Max brought you back here after he, um, well, killed you.” She said hesitantly.

            “Ah.” Was all I could think to respond.

            “Yeah.”

            “Why?” I whispered.

            “Why what?” Maggie asked.

            “Why did Max kill me?”

            “I’m afraid I cannot answer that. Max will have to explain that, it is his responsibility to.” She stated. I could hear a hint of disgust in her voice when she said Max’s name.

            “Vampires drink blood?” I asked knowing the answer.

            “Yes, but you don’t have to kill people to get it. My family actually gets it from the local blood bank that is run by one of our kind. I know of a coven inNew Yorkthat feeds on wild animals. Once you learn how to control yourself, you can actually feed on a human without killing them.”

            “Won’t they go telling people about how they got attacked though? Not that I want to feed on a human.” I asked shamefully.

            “We have ways of taking care of that. I will teach you. But first I think I should get you something to drink.” When she said that was when I noticed my thirst.

It felt like I hadn’t had anything to drink in weeks, but I knew a glass of water wouldn’t be able to quench my thirst. Maggie got up and left the room. I was about to get up and follow her when she suddenly returned with a glass filled with a red, sticky looking liquid. I could smell the blood. I was sad to admit to myself that I really wanted it. Maggie handed me the glass and I drank it like someone drinking water after having been lost in the desert. After I was done I looked up at Maggie who was smiling sadly at me.

What really upset me was when I looked passed her to see Max leaning against the door frame smirking at me. Before I knew it, I was standing in front of him. I grabbed him by the neck and shoved him against the wall adjacent to my door. He just smiled at me. My hand tightened around his neck and I threw him to the ground before walking back into the room and slamming the door, which I shouldn’t have because instead of it closing, it flew off the hinges and landed on the floor next to Max.

“What is going on here?” I heard a woman yell before coming into the room. She stared at me for a minute before looking to Maggie for answers. The woman looked a lot like Maggie, but with Max’s hair and eye color. I slowly started piecing together that Maggie and Max must be siblings and that this must be their mother. I looked down in shame at my previous behavior. I needed to get a hold of my emotions.

“I’m sorry.” I said quietly. The woman looked back at me with surprise all over her face.

“Really?” She asked. Her voice sounded a lot like Maggie’s but with a maturity that must be associated with the fact that she looked about ten years older that Maggie.

“Yes. I didn’t mean to break the door, and I shouldn’t have attacked Max. I was just really upset and for some reason I couldn’t compose myself properly.” I replied honestly. I looked back up to her and into her eyes so she could see my sincerity.

“Isn’t she a newly changed vampire?” The woman asked looking back at Maggie.

“Yes, amazing isn’t she? She only drank one glass of blood too. She didn’t even ask for more.” Maggie replied sounding proud of me even though I wasn’t sure why.

“That is why I picked her. I knew she would change well, I could sense it.” Max stated from the doorway.

“Sure, son. Just like how you knew Clarissa would change well.” She replied quite bluntly.

“I admit, I was wrong about Clarissa, but it is apparent that I was right about this one.” He smiled proudly. His smile was actually quite breathtaking. I liked it very much, way more then when he smirked at me.

“He does to seem right this time, mother.” Maggie remarked.

“I believe he has.” she said to Maggie before turning back to me. “What is your name, dear?” she asked kindly.

“Annabelle. May I ask yours?” I replied.

“Yes, you may, Annabelle. I am Rose. You will meet my husband tonight, his name is Liam, and my other daughter is Martha.” She said with warmth in her eyes.

“Nice to meet you, I look forward to meeting them as well.” I replied politely.

“I like her.” She said turning to Max who was still leaning on the door frame.

“I think we will, except for Martha probably.” He laughed.

I was confused at their commentary, but it was between the two of them so I didn’t think too much of it.

“Dinner is at six, I will have Charles fix your door so you will have some privacy.” Rose told me before getting up and leaving the room taking Max with her.

“That was amazing. You totally won over my mom, which believe me, is very hard to do.” Maggie squealed smiling brightly at me.

“Okay…” I laughed. “So what exactly do we eat for dinner?” I asked thinking back to the glass of blood I drank earlier.

“We can still eat regular food. We don’t need to, but we usually eat dinner together once a week as a family. My parents call it bonding.” She smiled.

“My parents passed away last year. I never thought I would be happy about it, but I kind of am now.” I whispered.

“Max must have known that too when he chose you.” She smiled sadly at me.

“What exactly did he choose me for?” I asked.

“He’s going to have to tell you that.” She replied. I just sighed.

“What time is it?” I asked.

“Four ‘O clock in the evening. I will leave you to get ready for dinner. I presume you already found the bathroom and closet?”

“Yes, but none of those clothes are mine. I wouldn’t feel right wearing them.”

She laughed. “Annabelle, they are yours. All of those clothes are things we don’t wear anymore. Instead of donating them, Max put them in there, sneaky bastard.”

“So, it’s okay that I wear them?” I asked still not convinced.

“Yes, they are yours now.” She smiled before getting up and leaving the room.