Chapter Thirty-Seven

            I couldn’t go to sleep, and I really didn’t want to. I just stayed lying in the dark waiting for Max. It took an hour, but I finally heard him walking up the stairs and quietly open the door. I felt the bed shift as he laid next to me. After he wrapped his arm around me, I turned to face him.

            “So, what’s going on?” I asked. His eyes widened a little.

            “Um, why don’t we talk about it in the morning?” He suggested nervously.

            “Max, just tell me what’s going on. Whatever it is, we can deal with it together.” I said smiling reassuringly.

            He sighed. “The council heard about you. I don’t know how, but I don’t like it.”

            “Why is there a problem?” I asked confused.

            “It is never good when the council takes a special interest in someone. It is either because you have done something wrong to get their attention or because there is something about you that they want, and they are willing to take it. Knowing you, it is the latter.” He explained.

            “What are we going to do?” I asked worried.

            “We have to run.” He stated blankly.

            “What?”

            “We have to run. We aren’t mated yet, they will take you and I will never be able to find you. They have extensive resources and will move you around until I give up. I can’t lose you, Annabelle, it will kill me.” He explained in a tone of fear and desperation.

            “If we were mated, would they still come after me?” I asked.

            “Yes, but I will be able to find you.”

            “How did they even find out about me? What do they even want with me?” I asked more to myself.

            “Clarissa, probably. I have a feeling she slept her way to an early release and now she is trying to keep you away from me. I just don’t know how they would know how unique you were.” He said placing a kiss on my forehead.

            “Jay said he was going to tell his father about me to see if there was anyone else like me.” I commented.

            “What? Why would he do that to you?” he ranted.

            “What? I think that he was just trying to help, Max. I had a lot of questions and we weren’t at a point where we were together.” I explained as I placed my hand on his face and stroked his cheek with my thumb. I watched as his intense stare relaxed.

            “I will talk to him in tomorrow. Tonight I just want to sleep with you in my arms.” My heart fluttered at his words. I couldn’t help but to place a soft kisses trailing from his forehead, past his temple, over his cheek and one on his lips. He growled softly at my attention.

            “I love you.” He whispered sleepily.

            “I love you too.” I cooed placing another kiss on his lips.

            “I won’t let them take you.” He mumbled.

            “I know.” I breathed. I couldn’t help my next actions; I kissed him again, only this time it wasn’t just a soft kiss. He immediately reacted. I pushed him onto his back and straddled his waist. I stared into his eyes as I sat on top of him. As he was about to say something, I put my finger to his lips to hush him. I leaned down and wrapped my arms around his neck before recapturing his lips with mine. He laid underneath me completely defeated against my advancement. He followed my lead; when I kissed roughly, he kissed me just as rough, when I left his lips to trail soft kisses down his neck, he moaned in response. I loved the power I felt being so in control.