Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine

            It was about 2am when I heard Max and Grant come in. I could sense a third person, but I wasn’t going to trouble myself with who it might be. I decided to go check up on Max; from what I heard, someone was stumbling around quite a bit. I slid out from my comfortable spot under my covers and quietly left my room. As I made my way down the stairs, I heard someone shushing the rest. As I reached the kitchen, I saw Max and Grant double over with silent laughter and a rather freaked out woman. She wasn’t much older than me and there was definitely fear in her eyes.

            I made my way past Max and Grant and put my arm on the woman’s arm. She immediately flinched away from me as she looked away. It was apparent that my gesture to comfort her had only made her more afraid. Max and Grant seemed to finally notice me. Grants head snapped up and he flashed his way in between me and the woman.

            “Mine.” He growled.

            I just looked at him and laughed hysterically. “Um, Grant, you cannot own a person.” I remarked. I could smell her blood and hear it pulsing, so I knew she was in fact human.

            “Annabelle, he means that’s his dinner.” Max slurred before laughing again.

            “No.” I stated bluntly. Both of there heads snapped up and looked at me. Grant look pissed, Max looked surprised at my boldness.

            “Mine.” Grant growled once again as he moved closer to me until he was right in my face. I could feel Max start to move protectively to my side. I reached my hand back and placed it on his chest to halt him.

            “No.” I repeated. Grant bared his teeth at me; I could feel Max tense behind me. I knew Grant was older than me, how much older I could not be sure, but I wasn’t going to let him hurt this scarred, fragile human.

            I took a deep breath and stepped around Grant. He grabbed my arm roughly, it hurt, but I wasn’t going to back down. I could see Max was about to lounge at him for touching me, but I wasn’t going to let him. This was my battle.

            “No, Max.” I said firmly. He stopped in his tracks and just looked at me with a sad, worried look. I had no idea why he was reacting like this, but I did not have the time to think about it. In a flash, I shook off Grant’s rough grasp, pick up the woman and ran out the door. I could sense Grant was chasing after me, and Max after him, so I went faster. I found a safe place and set the woman down.

            “Wait here.” I commanded. Tears began to fill her eyes as she nodded a yes response. I ran back the way I came and waited for Grant to catch up with me. I could sense that he was close, I could feel his anger. I knew he would attack me the minute he got to me so I took a defensive stance.

            As he approached he slowed down and looked at me. “Where is she?” He asked angrily. “Tell me and I won’t kill you.” He huffed.

            “No.” I said calmly. “If you try to hurt me or her, I will have to retaliate.” I warned. He let out a rather sadistic sounding laugh. I should have been scared, especially when he flashed me an evil smirk.

            “Max, nice of you to join us.” Grant shouted before Max made it out into the clearing. “I think you should take your little girlfriend home before I hurt her.” He remarked turning to face him.

            “Max, stay out of this. I don’t want you to get hurt.” I said genuinely. He just looked at me with sad eyes.

            “Honey, I am a hundred and fifty years older than you. You do not stand a chance. I suggest you and Max head back to the house so I can get on with my business. I think I can forgive this one infraction, but only if you tell me where my snack is and leave.”

            “No, and don’t call me ‘honey,’ I am not a child.” I stated rather irritated.

            “Fine, have it your way.” He remarked before turning back to Max. “Sorry about your little pet, we can find you a new one tomorrow.” He said to him as if I was not there.

            “Grant, no, she’s my…” Was all Max could get out before Grant lunged at me.

            I quickly dodged him and he landed roughly on the ground a few feet from me. I was rather proud of myself. I had no prior knowledge of how to fight. Just a few self-defense classes. He got up looking angrier than ever. He glared at me; I just stared back at him completely unfazed. He charged at me again, I let him tackle me to the ground, it was painful, but I immediately thrust him off of me. He flew from me and into a tree. The tree collapsed due to the impact, Grant laid there a second before getting up again and glaring at me. He slowly began to circle me. I stood completely still and just focused on him and what he might try next. When he reached his way behind me, he quickly ran up and wrapped his arm around my neck. I refused to let myself panic, I skillfully grabbed the arm that was around me and use it as leverage to throw him over me, hard. He landed on his back. You could here the sound of his back and the earth underneath him crack. The force of which he hit his head knocked him out cold.

            Max carefully approached me, probably trying not to frighten me. He pulled me into a tight and comforting hug. As his arms made their way around my waist, I wrapped mine around his neck.

            “I’m so glad you’re okay. I don’t know how you can be, but I am so happy you are.” He whispered in my ear. I smiled, not only because it tickled a little, but because it felt so nice to be close with him.

            As he pulled away our eyes met, as he leaned closer about to kiss me, I ruined the moment by remembering the woman I hid in the wooded area next to us. “Oh.” I whispered.

            He pulled away quickly as if I had just scolded him for almost kissing me. “The woman.” I whispered trying to get him to understand that I wasn’t saying no to the thought of kissing him. He smiled sadly at me as he scooped Grant up and began to make his way back to the house.

            I quickly took off in the direction that I hid the woman. I found her curled up where I had left her. She was shaking with fear. I bent down and place a hand on her shoulder. She jumped back a little before looking up at me.

            “I’m going to take you home, okay?” I asked softly. She shook her head as a way of saying okay and I helped her up. It was much too far for her to have to walk so I scooped her up and ran to the garage. I grabbed a set of keys off of the key hook and put her in the matching car before I opened the garage door and slowly backed out.

            “So, where am I taking you?” I asked.

            “I live a few miles from here. I think I can give you directions.” She replied softly.

            I pulled up to her house and she immediately started to get out.

            “Wait, what is your name?” I asked trying to get her to look at me.

            She turned and faced me. “Lana.” She replied making eye contact.

            “Well, Lana, you will not remember any of this. All you remember is that you met a man; he was a real jerk, so you will now avoid him at all costs and go on with your life. You will not remember me as soon as you exit the car. Instead, you will think a taxi dropped you off.” Lana just nodded absorbing everything I said. “Goodnight.” I said softly before she left.