Chapter Thirty

Chapter Thirty

            I woke up to my phone ringing. After I successfully kicked Jack out, I fell back to sleep.

            “Hello?” I asked sleepily.

            “Hey, Annabelle. I was wondering if you could do me and Sam a favor.” A man asked.

            “Will?” I questioned.

            “Yeah, who else would it be?” He replied; I could hear a smile in his voice.

            “I don’t know, some telemarketer with a death wish for calling me this early.” I replied.

            “It’s almost noon, Annabelle.” He laughed.

            “Oh. Well I guess I should get up. What do you want?” I asked unenthused.

            “Well I was wondering if you could go to the closest Target and add a few things to our wedding registry. Sam is out of town on business and the bar has been really busy lately.” He replied.

            “Yeah, I guess.” I whined.

            After he gave me the list and told me I just had to pretend to be Sam to access the account, I got dressed and headed to the closest store. The manager easily gave me a scanner and showed me how to use it. I made my way to the appliance section and began to look for the stuff on the list. As I was looking for the four-slice toaster they wanted, something shocking caught my eye.

            “Max?” I asked looking down the aisle across from mine. His head snapped up and he gave me, what appeared to be, a scared look.

            “Hi.” He said not moving.

            I made my way over to him and smiled up at him. “Hey, how are you?” I asked.

            “Fine, just looking for a gift for my sisters wedding.” He replied looking nervous.

            “Oh, well, I know toasters are a pretty popular item.” I laughed. “Will has me hear registering for a four-slice one. I don’t know why he needs to cook four slices of toast at once.” I smiled.

            Max gave me a sad smile. “Ah.” Was all he said.

            “Are you coming? I’m pretty sure Will gave you an invitation.” I asked.

            “Um, I haven’t really decided yet.” He replied looking away from me.

            “Well you should go, it will be fun.” I smiled.

            “So what are you doing here?” Max asked even though it was pretty obvious.

            “Will gave me a list of things to add to the registration. Like I said, he was really adamant about the toaster.” I replied with a sigh.

            “You don’t like registering?” He asked.

            “It would probably be more fun if I got to pick out this stuff.” I laughed.

            “You don’t get to pick out any of it?” He asked.

            “Nope. You would think he would at least let me pick out one thing.”

            “Wow.” He commented.

            “Yeah, so I’ll see you at the engagement party?” I asked.