Chapter Twenty-Eight

            I woke up feeling ashamed of myself. I had made out with Jack. I decided to call in for sick for work because there was no way I could face him. There was no way I could face Nick either. I sat up in my bed as memories from last night began to flood my mind. Picturing Nick and Martha in the elevator caused a few tears to roll down my cheek. I crawled out of my bed and headed to the kitchen for some blood. I was really thirsty even though I took some blood from Jack last night. As I finished pouring a glass, someone knocked on my door. I really didn’t want to see anyone, but I opened the door anyway.

            “Annabelle, are you okay?” Maggie asked as she stepped into my apartment, not even waiting for me to invite her in.

            “No, Maggie, I’m not.” I spat out. “Nick and Martha were making-out in the elevator. It’s obvious they are mates, and now I’m all alone, once again.” I said slumping down onto the couch.

            She sat down next to me and wrapped an arm around me. “I’m so sorry, dear. You know that they didn’t betray you on purpose, right?”

            “I know.” I replied trying to hold back tears. “I’m just so tired of this. I cannot take being let down again.”

            “I know.” She whispered placing a soft kiss on the top of my head.

            “I did something awful last night.” I mumbled getting her attention.

            “You didn’t kill anyone, did you?” She asked, fear in her voice.

            “No, I just jumped this jerk that I work with. I drank from him, and made-out with him.” I sighed ashamed of my actions.

            “Well, we have all done something like that before.” She smiled weakly at me.

            I sighed. “Yeah, but I still have to work with him. He will never let me live this down.” I replied.

            “Then make him forget about it.” She said calmly.

            I laughed; I had totally forgotten that I had the power to make him forget all about it. “Thanks.” I said giving her a genuine smile.

            Maggie left and I got ready for work. I was going to call in sick, but I would just have to go in and make Jack forget all about the alley last night. As for Nick, I would just have to ignore him for now.

            I made my way downstairs and out to the street, I walked the block to work and took in a deep breath before going inside. I ignored everyone as I made my way to my locker. When I put my stuff away, I headed behind the counter to start my shift. Jack was already there, so I just ignored him. Things were kind of slow.

            “Hey, beautiful.” Jack whispered in my ear brushing against my back as he passed me.

            An involuntary shiver went down my spine. I knew it was wrong, but I really wanted to kiss him again. I wasn’t in love with him or anything, but there was something animalistic inside of me that really wanted to shove him against the alley wall again.

            I heard the bell on the door ding and watched as Nick came inside. A smile was plastered to his face until he saw me and then he looked away ashamed. I took a deep breath and reminded myself of the plan. I was going to ignore him, no matter what he said. He walked behind the counter and began to organize the unopened bottles of booze under the counter. I had only been there less than an hour, but all of the anxiety I was feeling made me want a break. I walked past Jack and muttered that I was going on my ten. I quickly made my way outside and went straight for the alley. I leaned against the wall and took a deep breath. My body stiffened as I heard someone approaching. I sighed in relief when it wasn’t Nick. I was not too thrilled that Jack was there, but at least it wasn’t Nick.