lunches.

"Every secret of a writer's soul, every experience of his life, every quality of his mind, is written large in his works."
Virginia Woolf

"Hey, I'm Mei." Mei greeted cheerfully, holding her hand out to the quiet boy in front of her.

He looked down to it for a moment, moving his eyes back up to watch the girl sat atop the desk next to his. "I know. I'm Akaashi."

"Akaashi! I paid attention during attendance this morning so I actually found that out already. Anyway, what's up with you?"

"What?"

"Just asking how you are. You don't usually have lunch somewhere else?" Mei asked simply, raising her brows when he simply turned his head to look out the window.

"It's the first day, so no."

Does this guy have no friends?

"I guess I get that–"

"Mei! You're so annoying, making me come get you." Jun's voice entered the fairly empty classroom, and Mei and Akaashi turned their heads to look at her.

"Jun, shut up, you're embarassing me." Mei shot back quickly, turning back on the desk to shoot Akaashi a smile.

"Who's this?" Jun questioned quickly, leaning against the desk Mei had rested her butt on, narrowing her eyes down at Akaashi sitting in his seat. "Wait, I know you."

"You do? How come you haven't told me about him before?" Mei widened her eyes at her friend, and Akaashi glanced between them slowly.

"Last year we went to all the games we could, how do you not remember him from when volleyball club, like... won whatever championship thing that was?" Jun explained, awfully, and Mei sighed as she turned to look back at him.

"So you play volleyball? That's cool."

Shouldn't he be friends with his teammates then?

"Yeah." He gave a simple reply, following Mei's movements as she hopped off the desk she was on and slid into the seat instead.

"So, Akaashi, do you wanna join us for lunch?"

He played with his fingers for a bit, moving his eyes between the two girls before answering, "um, not really."

This kid.

"Can I join you for lunch then?" Mei asked instead, and he gave her a tired expression. "Are you planning to eat?"

"I was, yeah."

"Cool. Please? I promise I won't be annoying." Mei pleaded, rising from the seat for a moment to jog to her desk in the other corner of the classroom.

As she unzipped her bag to get a bento box she had bought the night before, she turned back to the front to watch as Jun began laughing at something Akaashi must have said.

What's so funny?

"Yay, you have emotions! Did you make a joke?" Mei asked as she returned to the two and sat herself at the desk behind Akaashi's.