Chapter 44

At the start of the year if you told Beca Mitchell that she would be happy to sit through a three-hour presentation ceremony, cheering her friends and teammates as they all walked across the stage to collect their diploma, she would of called you stupid. If you had told Beca Mitchell that by the end of her senior year she would have managed to earn herself a full ride scholarship to UCLA, she would have called you an idiot. If you had told Beca Mitchell that in her final year of high school she would fall in love with a bubbly, perky, full of sunshine cheerleader, she would have said you was fucking insane.

But, here she was cheering the last of her senior class as they walked across the stage, shaking the hand of her principal and collecting their rolled up diploma as she smiled and enjoyed every moment. Although her focus should have been on the stage and speeches being made throughout the ceremony, the soccer star couldn't help but keep her eyes off of Chloe Beale sitting a number of rows in front of her, thankfully her seat being placed with a perfect view of her girlfriend.

The peers that were sitting all around here started to become restless as they watched Aubrey Posen, their student body president, walk across the stage to the microphone to give the closing speech.

"My fellow students", Beca smirked at the formality of the head cheerleader's speech as she continued to listen, "We arrived here only four years ago, and now it is already time to leave. How did it all go so fast?", the blonde smiled out to the crowd. "It seems like only yesterday that we were skinny little freshmen fighting with the locks on our lockers, trying to figure out where our next class was and looking generally clueless as we attempted to make some kind of friendships"

"Who is she calling skinny, I've been beefed up ever since I was 15", Derek flexed his muscles from the chair in front of Beca, the classmates sat either side of him sniggering.

Beca kicked the back of his chair, making him turn around, his smile instantly falling at the sight of his captain. "Dude, shut up before I pull out pictures from four years ago and prove you wrong", she smirked when the tall defender faced the front again, staying silent this time.

"Now, we are the upperclassmen, the seniors who stand here ready to graduate and move forward in the world. Yet, at this moment we can't help but look back on our time spent here. In the beginning, we measured the time we spent in class periods, counting down the days to eventual freedom. As the weeks passed, we went to measuring in semesters and eventually years as we moved from those clueless freshmen, to stupid sophmores who thought they had the idea of romantic relationships figured out", Aubrey rolled her eyes as she heard a few of her peers calling out from the crowd, earning a laugh to quietly sweep the senior class. "By the time we reached our junior year, we were confident that we were prepared to take over the graduating seniors, and we couldn't wait to 'rule the school'", she made quotation marks with her fingers, smirking to herself.

"Back to back championships, baby", Beca smiled at the sound of Jason calling out, followed by more cheers and applause coming from mostly her teammates.

"But now, here we stand. Our rule over the school is over, and it's now up to the next class to step into our shoes and take over from our legacy", Aubrey started to finish up her speech. "I know that as I look out at all of you, I will measure my time here on the friendships I've enjoyed over the last four years. Some were pretty casual or borderline more of seen as an enemy", the blonde met the gaze of Beca who rolled her eyes back at her before smiling, "others moved to be a much closer kind of relationship"

"That's my girlfriend", Stacie called out above the rest of the class, standing up and pointing at the cheerleader as she smiled.

"While a few didn't start until this year", Aubrey smirked, winking down at Chloe in the first few rows. "Congratulations my fellow graduates of the class of 2020. Wherever we go and whatever we do, may we always be friends whenever we meet again", she smiled and moved to ask the senior class to now stand up. "I now ask you to stand and move your tassel from left to right as I now pronounce you as 2020 high school graduates from Barden High"