Chapter 19

"I can come over after practice", Beca smiled as she spoke into her phone, sat on the bleachers. The soccer captain was taking a short break from conditioning and when her phone started to ring and Chloe's name flashed across the screen, she couldn't help but extend that break by a few extra minutes.

"Perfect, my parents are home so we'll have to study in my room", Beca used her shirt to wipe some of the sweat that she could feel across her forehead as she listened. The amount of suicide runs, squats, press ups and sits ups that Coach had made the team complete already was ready to make half of the team collapsed. But if they wanted to stay unbeaten and reach the state championship game then there could be no complaints, especially in front of their captain.

"Will your Dad be alright with me being in your room, Beale?", Beca smirked and bit down on her lip as she just imagined the eye roll that Chloe was doing on the other side of the phone. She looked up to see Jesse jogging slowly towards the bleachers, where she was sat, and the rest of her team starting to crowd back around Coach in the middle of the field.

"If you're respectful and manage to get on his good side then I'm sure you'll survive his police interrogation ways", the redhead replied, making Beca smile even more at the feistiness whenever she teased her.

"I'll try my best but can't be making any promises about that", she noticed Jesse waving his hand at her to come back onto the field, annoyed that she had to end the call. "I've got to go or Coach will make me run more suicides", Beca stood up from where she was sat, grabbed her Gatorade bottle from the bench next to her and made her way down the steps and back onto the field.

"Okay, well I'll see you soon Mitchell"

"Bye princess", Beca smiled one last time before hanging up the phone and meeting up with Jesse as the two of them walked back towards the team and Coach.

"Arranging your next date with Sophie?", Jesse wiggled his eyebrows at his captain, laughing as Beca reached over to punch him in the arm, rubbing it softly with his own hand after.

"It wasn't Sophie actually", Beca threw her phone down on top of her gym bag along with her towel and bottle as they walked past. "I'm going over to Chloe's tonight to study for the English exam"

"Wait wait", Jesse grabbed Beca by the shoulder and turned her around to see the smirk on her face as she faced him now. "You're going to Chloe's house, who by the way is dating your brother, and you're 'studying' with her", he used his fingers as quotation marks as he stared back at her.

"I don't know why you're making a big deal out of this, me and Chloe are friends and she's been helping me with school", she shrugged her shoulders. "That's all there is to it"

"Are you sure?", the brunette boy crossed his arms this time, not believing her for a second.

Beca rolled her eyes, getting bored of explaining herself all the time. "Yes, I'm sure"

"Mitchell, Swanson! Lets go, unless you want to add another 5 suicide runs on to the end of practice", Coach yelled at them both which quickly made the two players jog over to the team to listen to the next instructions.

An hour later, after a quick shower and change of clothes Beca was pulling up alongside the suburban two-story house with a driveway and garage that seemed to store away another car inside. She smirked as she spotted Chloe's Volkswagen parked on the drive while getting out of the car. The brunette took a deep breath as she climbed the classic porch steps, running a hand through her hair before raising her fist to knock on the door.

It only took a few seconds, that felt like hours to Beca, but eventually the door sprung open and Chloe stood there beaming her brilliant white smile, instantly easing the nervy feeling in Beca's stomach. "Hey, come in", she grabbed Beca's hand and dragged the soccer star inside, just as the redhead's parents appeared from one of the many downstairs rooms that Beca had noticed from her first quick glance.