Chapter 11 | A Tale

Start from the beginning

"'A child shall rise while the sky is crying in fear,' the queen said." The headmistress paused and roamed her eyes on us before she continued, "That child has the blood of the Goddess of Fate. It was only natural that she’ll inherit some of her mother’s power.”

She stood before us with a solemn expression.

“That child has the power to see the future.”

Confusion rippled through us as we struggled to comprehend her words. How could a goddess have a child? It seemed unfathomable, even impossible.

“How can that be possible?” Winter was the first one to raise a question. “A goddess bears a mortal child?”

“Obviously a half-blood, stupid,” Nath interjected, rolling his eyes.

The headmistress, sensing our disbelief, continued to speak. “There was a time when the goddess fell in love with a mortal, defying the laws of the divine. Their forbidden love bore fruit—a child blessed with the gift of foresight.”

“Kung gaano kabilis ang kanilang pagmamahalan, ganoon din kabilis ang parusa sa kanila. The goddess and her child vanished without a trace. None had seen them since, and their whereabouts remained a mystery.” The headmistress paused. Her eyes roamed around until they stopped on a certain someone. “Well, that is until now.”

I looked at Rain. Nasa tabi siya ni Nath, nakatulala siya sa sahig at namumutla. Hindi rin nakatakas sa paningin ko ang panginginig ng kaniyang mga kamay na kasalukuyang nakahawak sa braso ng kapatid ko.

“I have received a letter from the palace regarding this matter,” she continued. “The letter stated that the child has been proven alive and is currently somewhere out there.”

“And the goddess?” Nath suddenly asked.

Umiling ang headmistress bilang sagot.

With a grave tone, the headmistress spoke once more. “This information could spark chaos, especially for them. This is something that only you must know because I am giving you a mission.”

Tahimik kaming lahat, pinipilit na iproseso ang lahat ng sinabi niya.

“Ensure that the truth remains hidden from prying eyes,” she said. “No one knows when they will attack, but we all know that they are on the move, and the gods have given us a warning. Soon, light and darkness will clash, and I don’t want the students to be involved. So, I am entrusting you with this mission to keep peace in the academy.”

After hearing that, my eyes fixed on a distant place outside the office, through the big window behind the headmistress’ desk. My thoughts were consumed by the weight of her words.

Kung titignan ay madali lang ang misyong ibinigay sa amin ni Headmistress, ngunit kung umabot sa puntong may makaalam ng impormasyong ito ay siguradong responsibilidad din namin ang ayusin iyon.

It won’t take too long until someone gets this information—someone dangerous.

Kinagat ko ang ibabang labi ko habang palalim ng palalim ang aking iniisip. Ang aking mga daliri ay nilalaro ang dulo ng palda ko.

“So, ang panibagong misyon namin ay ang bantayan ang chismis at patahimikan ang mga chismosa?”

Napa-face palm ako. “Sky, please cover your best friend’s mouth until we’re done here.”

Kaagad namang sumunod ang lalaki. “Now, now, Trishamae.” Tinakpan niya ang bibig ng kaibigan gamit ang kaniyang kamay. “Shhh.”

“Why give us the mission instead of the student council?” Bumaling kaming lahat kay Nath nang magsalita siya. “Why us?”

Nang dahil sa tanong niya ay nilingon namin si Headmistress ng may bakas na katanungan sa aming mga ekspresyon.

“Angel is one of the student councils,” Musa stated. “Keeping peace on the academy’s ground is one of their tasks.”

They are right. Sa loob ng akademya, ang student councils ang nagpapanatili ng kapayapaan sa lahat. Isa kami sa mga tumutulong kapag may masamang pangyayari ang nagaganap sa loob ng paaralan, katulad ngayon.

Umiling si Headmistress. “Hindi ako ang nag-arrange ng misyon na ito. It’s an order from the palace that the sons and daughters of the seven great lords will be assigned in this matter. I’m not the one who chose you.”

“But I’m not a lord’s daughter,” Musa replied, tilting her head slowly as her gentle face was consumed by confusion. “And Rain isn't too.”

The headmistress sighed heavily as she shook her head once more. “I don’t know. Sumusunod lamang ako sa utos ng sa itaas.”

“If that’s all, can I talk to you alone, Headmistress?” seryosong saad ko, at saka tumayo mula sa aking pagkakaupo. “There’s something I want to ask you.”

Nang magtama ang aming paningin ay mukhang nakuha niya rin ang ibig kong sabihin kung kaya’t dahan dahan siyang tumango, habang may maliit na ngiti sa kaniyang mukha.

She then turned to the others. “I will call you if there’s an order from the palace about this matter. I will let you know.”

"Finally!" Parang batang tumalon si Trisha mula sa kaniyang pagkakaupo, at saka tumayo habang hawak ang kaniyang tiyan. "Gutom na 'ko!"

"Ako rin," malumanay na saad ni Winter. "I'm craving some cakes."

"You may go." The headmistress smiled at us before she walked closer to her table.

"Anong lulutuin mo, Trish?" Musa opened the door for them.

"Hmmm..." She looked up while squinting her eyes. "Hindi ko pa alam, pero sure akong madami!"

"So loud," bulong ni Sky.

"Dapat may cake," singit ulit ni Winter.

Nanatili pa rin akong nakatayo sa loob ng office ni Headmistress, hinihintay ko muna silang lumabas lahat.

I looked at Rain and Nath when I noticed that they were still in their seats.

Napansin ko ang maingat na paghawak ng kapatid ko sa kamay ni Rain matapos niya itong inaya na lumabas na. Hindi pa rin umiimik hanggang ngayon si Rain. She silently followed Nath, who was gently guiding her, as her hands were shaking and her face was pale as if something scary had happened to her.

Nakasunod lamang ang aking tingin sa kanilang dalawa hanggang sa makalabas sila, ngunit bago pa maisara ni Nath ang pintuan ng office ay nagtama muna ang mga mata namin ni Rain.

Saglit lang iyon ngunit sigurado ako sa aking nakita. Nakikita ko sa kaniyang mga mata ang matinding takot. And in her eyes, I saw it…

I saw Nathaniel’s death.

━━

Votes and feedback are highly appreciated.♡