twenty six

A/N: Hey so I didn't edit this since I'm quickly posting it due to the impeding Christmas Eve (woohoo) but I wanted to give y'all your Wednesday update so Happy Holidays! Also, long chapter :)

Beth.

I dialed the number, already having it memorized by heart after seeing it so many times while scanning the phone logs.

"Is it ringing?" Luke asked impatiently as I put the phone up to my ear. I ignored him, listening for a ring, but instead was met with a beep notifying me that the line had been disconnected.

"Shít." I cursed, refraining myself from throwing my phone.

"What happened?" Luke questioned, eyes wide.
"The line's disconnected. We're too late." I groaned, throwing my head back.

"Are you sure you were right to trust Holden? Maybe this is some kind of trick." Luke suggested, gently rubbing my shoulders to calm me down.

"Holden hasn't really given me a reason to question his trust. If anything, he's been really nice and supportive."

"Those are the ones you usually have to watch out for." Luke pointed out.

I shook my head. "I don't think Holden's the bad guy here, Luke."

"So what now?" Luke asked, seeing as this plan quickly became a bust.

"We go back to the original plan. We're going to find your file in the sheriff's office where he has it under locks."

**

"I have to go to work." I groaned, spreading myself like a starfish on my bed. Luke rolled over from the right side of the bed, cuddling into me.

"You don't have to." He murmured, pressing a kiss under my ear as his arms wrapped around my waist.

"But I do. I just got a text from Holden. Apparently it's urgent." I notified Luke. I felt him freeze, no pun intended, as he sat himself up a little, leaning on his right elbow.

"He has your number?" he questioned, raising an eyebrow at me. I rolled my eyes, releasing a huff. I so was not ready to argue about this early in the morning.

"They all do." I corrected him. "And all I ever get texted about is work so simmer down." I laughed, pushing Luke away as I rolled out of the bed.

"No, come back." Luke whined, reaching out for me and collapsing on the white sheets of the bed where my body previously laid.

"I have to get dressed." I told him.

"Okay." he smiled, laying back on my pillow with his arms crossed behind his head, staring me down.

"Luke." I groaned, knowing he was having too much fun with this.

"Fine." he gave in, pursing his lips. I grabbed my black pencil skirt and white blouse out of my closet quickly, turning around to make sure Luke wasn't looking. He was laying on his stomach, face pressed firmly in the sheets. Something told me he was going to try something, so I quietly took my clothes and moved to the bathroom. Gently closing the bathroom door behind me, I silently clicked the lock.

After applying some deoderant I grabbed the white blouse, slipping it on over my white laced bra. I swiftly buttoned it up, reaching for my black pencil skirt.

"You don't have to get dressed so quickly. Really, take your time." Luke laughed. I quickly spun around, eyes widened as I took in the scene of Luke standing there inside the bathroom, flashing me a wink.

"Luke!" I scolded, slipping on my black pencil skirt.

"I think you forgot the part where I can walk through walls." Luke reminded me, not being able to hold back the smirk on his face. He was evidently highly amused.