five

Hopefully this chapter will answer some of your questions (or hopes) lol enjoy :)

Luke.

"Can't I sue you or something for giving me false information? This isn't funny!" She yelled, breaking into hysterics after long moments of silence. I watched her carefully, analyzing the way she squeezed her eyes shut as if it would all go away, the way she pulled at her hair and shook her head back and forth. She was in denial as the cops stared in silence.

I was in denial.

"Beth, they have to be lying. Look, I'm right here! I'm not dead." I said, but immediately wanted to take back my words. She couldn't see me. She couldn't hear me. I was of no comfort to her. I couldn't actually be dead, could I? Aside from the fact that I was virtually invisible to everyone, I didn't feel dead. If I was actually dead, I would know right? I couldn't possibly be a ghost.

She pressed her palms to her face, wiping away the tears.

"Can I see him?" She asked, her voice low. My head perked up at her request. My body was here?

The cop who had delivered Beth the news nodded his head, grabbing a pair of keys from his desk.

"Right this way, Ms. Laude."he said, walking towards the main doors of the station to exit.

"Where are we going?" She asked, following after him.

"To the hospital. His body is currently being stored there. We're going to send his body over to the coroner's office in the morning to perform an autopsy if we're given permission to." The officer explained. She studied the back of his head, her eyes examining him. I could see her analyze the black waves of his hair and the broadness of his shoulders. As they approached his car, he walked over to the passenger door and opened for her.

"I hope you're prepared for what you're about to see." He told her, then flashed her a smile that seemed to brighten his blue eyes but confuse Beth. I rolled my eyes. Why are all these pretty face boys suddenly appearing when I'm gone?

"He's not torn apart is he?" She asked worriedly, finally sitting in the passenger seat. I looked down at my body and patted myself. I was in one piece. If my ghost version of a self is, my physical body would be too right?

"No, just the exact opposite actually." He said, closing the car door and walking over to the driver seat. Once again I slipped into the backseat, greeted with a caged divider in front of me instead. Well this is a new experience. My mother would kill me if I was in this position in actuality.

Guess its a good thing I'm apparently already dead.

Beth.

"I never got your name." I told the officer, looking up at him as we waited for the elevator that would take us down to the morgue.

"Holden Brooks." He replied, flashing me another smile. My goodness this Officer was cute. I scrunched my eyebrows as I really took in his features. He looked 21 at most. A little young for a cop.

"What's your position? At the station." I asked, clarifying myself.

"I'm just a novice cop. Your boyfriend's case was actually my first assignment." He said, as the elevator doors opened and we stepped in.

"Well, don't expect all your cases to be like this. This is the first time I've seen something like this happen in my lifetime. I just wish..." I paused to take a breath. Images of Luke flashed through my mind, becoming emotionally overbearing at the moment. I didn't want to really believe I was on my way down to the morgue to identify his body. "I just wish it didn't have to happen to Luke." I finished.