seven

Chapter 7

Beth.

I carried my lunch tray around the cafeteria filled with my fellow classmates, my eyes scanning for someone to sit with. I wasn't really good friends with any of these people though to just pop up to sit and eat lunch with them out of nowhere. My eyes flickered over to the corner of the cafeteria where a small table was sat, surrounded by three chairs. It was the table that Luke and I normally sat at.
I sighed and walked over to the table with my tray. Looks like I'm eating alone today.

I set my tray down on the table and scooted one of the chairs back so I could sit. I looked around at the cafeteria again feeling peoples' gazes on me. I shifted uncomfortably wishing that there was a school policy that we could at least use our phones during lunch. That would make this situation a lot more easier to handle and less awkward.

"Hey, what are you doing sitting here alone?" Calum said, slipping into the chair across from me. I looked up and met his gaze, shrugging my shoulders.
"I'm not really close friends with anyone else in here." I answered, about to take a bite from the questionable looking school spaghetti. I don't think that could be actual meat in that sauce.

"Well why don't you come sit by my table? It'll be fun." He smiled as he presented his offer. I looked over at his table of friends, filled with other soccer players and of course the stuck up cheerleaders.

I cleared my throat, and shook my head. "Um, I'll pass. Thank you though, Calum." I rejected, giving him a small smile.

He shrugged his shoulders and slumped back in the chair.

"Fine by me. I'll just stay here then and have you all to myself. You shouldn't have to sit alone." He said. I couldn't decide whether he was just really nice or really persistent. "I am hungry though. I'll be back, just have to go grab my lunch from the table." He said, pushing his chair back as he got up and started walking.

I looked back down at my food, still debating whether or not I should actually eat it. I can't believe I forgot to pack my lunch this morning; then again my mind hasn't been in the right setting ever since Luke disappeared.

"What are you doing?" I heard a familiar voice ask, almost accusingly. I looked up and saw Michael, Luke's best friend.
Looks like he switched back to blonde.

"Um... Eating?" I replied, confused.

"No." He continued, sliding himself into the chair next to me. "You're having lunch with Calum. Why?" Well someone's nosey.

"He invited himself. I was content with having lunch all by my lonesome." I said, partially giving him the truth. I actually hated being alone but it felt like something I was going to have to get used to.

"Oh." Michael replied, a guilty look overcoming his features.

"Don't worry about it." I said, knowing he was just looking out for his best friend. But then again Luke was as good as gone in everyone's beliefs.

"Hey, I'm back. Hey, Matthew." Calum said, nodding at Michael as he sat down.

"It's Michael." Michael corrected him, rolling his eyes. I chuckled slightly to myself at their interaction.

"Oh, sorry dude." Calum apologized, looking down at his lunch.

"Anyways.." Michael emphasized, drawing out the word as he turned to me. "Let's go somewhere for lunch. That food looks repulsive." He said, eyeing my tray with disgust.

"Yeah..." I agreed, dropping my fork, not even bothering to poke the food anymore.

"Let's go. I got my car." He said standing up from his chair, making a show of his car keys. I picked up my tray and followed after Michael.