twenty one

A/N: I am so sorry for the long wait. September is just a bad month for me. If you want a more detailed explanation, just read the Author's Note at the end lol

Beth.

“Was it because I had braces?”

“What?” Luke asked, looking up from the bedspread to look at me with a perplexed expression.

“It’s because I had braces wasn’t it?” I pouted, trudging my feet towards him as I heard my door slam behind me.

“What are you talking about, babe?” he sighed, sitting up on the bed and crossing his legs Indian style as he gave me his full attention.

“I’m sorry. I was just trying to get my mind off my conversation with Michael and my mind just drifted off to wondering why you never noticed me before high school, even though we had gone to middle school together, too. And then it hit me.” I exclaimed, moving my hands beside my head as if it was exploding. “It’s because I had braces. Guys don’t like a metal mouth.” I rolled my eyes, plopping down on the bed beside him.

Luke laughed, placing his head in his hands before looking down at me with the smile still present on his face.

“I would have liked you even with braces, Beth. I honestly don’t know why I never noticed you in middle school. I was an idiot.”  he said sweetly, leaning back to lie beside me.

“You still are.” I teased, turning on my side to face him.

“I didn’t know what I was missing out on. I could have had you a lot earlier.” He said, lowering his voice as our faces neared each others.

“Well at least you have me now.” I whispered, wrapping my arms around his waist because it was the only thing that felt comfortable for my arms. He grabbed my waist in response, pulling me in close.

“And I really hope it stays that way for as long as you’ll have me.”

“I’m here until you’re ready to get rid of me.” I said, leaning forward to give him a quick peck.

“Dammit, looks like we’re stuck together forever.” He huffed, blowing out a puff of air.

“Gosh darn.” I joked back, laughing. I leaned my head down, brushing my nose against his in an eskimo kiss.

“Now what conversation with Michael? Did he say something to upset you?” He asked, pulling away. I retracted a little, casting my gaze downwards.

“He didn’t mean it. I know he didn’t, it just hurt.” I shrugged, trying to sound nonchalant about it. Even if Luke wasn’t really here, I didn’t really want to find out what he could possibly do to Michael.

“What did he say?” He asked again, his voice stern now.

“Just let it go, Luke. Don’t worry about it, he was just mad. He didn’t mean it.” I repeated, pulling away completely now and sitting up.

“Just tell me what he said, Beth.” Luke urged, but made his voice sound softer now. He rubbed my back gently, trying to keep a steady gaze with me and he awaited a response.

I sighed, my eyes flicking back and forth between his and the ground.

“He called me pathetic, and that I should stop acting like a kid and move on. Basically he told me to let go of you.” I explained, looking down at my fingers. I was afraid to look at Luke’s expression.

I heard a sharp intake of breath and turned my attention to Luke, seeing him with his jaw tightened and he shook his head, his eyes hard.

“That assho-”