twenty five

A/N: So I've been writing a couple chapters ahead and they've all been above or close to 3k words so be happy, long chapters haha I'm so excited to be getting to the climax of this story. Pleas continue to vote and comment!

Beth.

“Good morning, Officers.” I greeted,  walking into the stations. A few cops turned their heads to look at me, giving a quick nod of acknowledgement before going back to doing nothing as they were before.

“Ms. Laude.” the officer who I always seem to have a conversation with welcomed me, keeping his attention on me.

“Hey.” I smiled at him, readjusting the handles of my purse on my shoulder and walking over to him. “Forgive me if this sounds rude, but I realized the other day I never learned your name.”

“It’s Holmes.” He replied, not at all seeming offended by my statement.

I nodded. “Well it’s a pleasure to finally know your name.” I said, walking over to my desk across from him, taking a seat.

“You actually have an assignment to do today.” he remarked, getting up and walking over to my desk. In his hand was a manila folder, filled with a stack of papers.

“What is this?” I asked, staring curiously at the folder as he slapped it onto my desk.

“They’re call logs.” he replied, opening the folder in front of me and pulling out the stack of papers. He reached over to his desk, pulling out a yellow highlighter from the cup filled with pens, pencils, and highlighters alike. “We need you to go through these logs. See if you can find a number that appears frequently within the last few months. When you get something, highlight it.” he ordered.

I nodded, my eyes scanning over the call log.

“Can I ask what this is for?” I questioned, grabbing hold of the highlighter.

“It’s for the recent Holmes case. Small segments of the anesthesia shipments have been unaccounted for in recent months. It slipped under our radar until last week when one of the doctors caught Holmes trying to leave the hospital with the vials. It was when our investigators looked into the hospital’s supply system that they noticed that this wasn’t the only time vials were being stolen.” Officer Holmes explained. I tried not to make it seem like the news affected me, but I knew this had to do with Luke’s case. They were linked. Maybe if I could help solve this case, I can ultimately help solve Luke’s as well.

“Is the name a coincidence, Officer?” I asked, looking up at him. He sighed, pressing his fingers against the desk.

“No, unfortunately it is not. The alleged suspect is my nephew. I’ve known him since the day he was born, and I know he is not capable of committing this felony on his own. Someone is putting him up to this, I just know it. I’ve been prohibited from working on the case to prevent bias. But I told them to at least look into the possibility that he wasn’t working alone.” he stated, and I could see why they disallowed him from working on the case. He was clearly close with his nephew.

“So I’m going through the call logs to find who he’s possibly working for?” I asked, verifying my job.

He nodded. “He escaped last night from where we were keeping him held. None of the town cameras have captured his image; we believe he skipped town. It’s possible that the person he was working for helped him escape.” he informed me.

“I’ll get right on it, Officer Holmes.” I smiled. He nodded his head, turning away from me to return to his desk.

I peered down at the list of calls, trying to see if any repetition stuck out to me.