eight

A/N: sorry for the wait, made it a bit longer to make up for it :) Don't forget to vote please .xx

Chapter 8

Beth.

I awoke with a jolt, searching around my room. I knew something must have made a loud sound for me to suddenly wake up that fast. My room was dark, and the air felt a bit chilly.

"Mom must have put the air conditioner low again." I muttered to myself, pulling up my comforter that had slipped further down through the night. Disregarding whatever woke me up, I wrapped my blanket closer around me as I laid my head to my pillow once again, closing my eyes.

But then it happened again, this time I was able to make out the sound of a tin can hitting the tile floor of my room. My heart started to pound harshly in my chest.

Was there someone in my room? What if it was the old man again, coming back for me? I let down a shaky gulp, slowly peeling off the cover from me.

"Hello?" I whispered. "I have a can of pepper spray under this pillow and I'm not afraid to use it!" I warned, but it was a lie. I didn't even own pepper spray.

But there was no reply. I scrunched my eyebrows as I tried to peer closer into the dark but my eyes couldn't decipher any unusual movement. Reaching over by my bedside table, I pulled down the string that turned the lamp on, immediately illuminating my room. Everything was how it had been before I had gone to sleep. Aside from the fallen book from my bookshelf and the can of Red Bull that now laid on the floor.

I swung my legs over to the side of my bed, sliding my feet into my slippers as I approached the two fallen objects.

I flipped the book over, but had already realized which book it was by it's back cover.

"You need to read it." I said, shoving the book into Luke's chest. He grasped it, but I knew he wasn't letting the topic go.

"I don't read, Beth." He chuckled, handing the book back to me.

"Well you need to start sometime. Not every book's summary is available on SparkNotes."

"All the one's that are assigned for class are." He shot back, smiling smugly. I rolled my eyes, rejecting the book he was trying to hand back to me.

"Please, Luke? I really want you to read it. Please, for me?" I begged, folding my hands together under my chin, as I looked up at him, batting my eyelashes. He looked away from me as he opened his mouth to speak. I knew he couldn't resist the puppy dog look.

"I'll go see the movie with you when it comes out, but I don't see why I need to read the book, babe." He countered, finally looking back at me.

"Because it's not the same! The books are always better." I argued.

"But this is such a chick book." He said, looking down at the book with slight distate.

"The Fault in Our Stars has a very meaningful message, Luke Hemmings, and it'd mean a lot to me if you read it."

"Beth..." He sighed, looking down at my copy of the book that laid in his hands. I could see him already cracking, giving in to my pleas, that I knew I only needed one more push.

"Plus you saw Dear John with me! That came from a chick book but you seemed to enjoy it." I knew that had nothing to do with the book, but I think the fact that it was a chick book had Luke more bothered than the act of physically reading.

"Well, yeah, Amanda Seyfried is really cute, what guy wouldn't enjoy that movie?" Luke scoffed, trying to keep a serious face but I could see that smirk of his peeking out near the corners of his mouth.