nine

Quick A/N: is part 8 showing up for you guys? Because apparently it isn't for some and I need to know if Wattpad put it on private. Just leave a comment somewhere, thank you!

Luke.

"Oh. You brought... A girl." Were the first words out of my mother's mouth when she opened the front door revealing Beth with her bag and I.

"Yeah, you said I could bring a friend, so I invited Beth." I smiled cheekily at her before reaching behind me to grab Beth's hand in mine. "I have to finish packing." I told both my mom and Beth as I dragged Beth upstairs to my room.

"I thought you said it was totally fine if I came?" She hissed, yanking her hand out of mine as soon as we reached my room. I closed the door behind me slowly and tilted my head at her.

"It is fine." I shrugged. "I guess she just expected Ashton or Michael. But look at you, you look like a total good girl. My mom doesn't mind." I smiled.

She shook her head at me but I could see the small smile peeking out from the corner of her lips.

"Whatever. So where are we going again? All you told me was a beach, but I don't know if you noticed that we live smack dab in the middle of the country." I stuffed a final pair of swim trunks in my duffle bag and zipped it up, knowing I was probably forgetting something.

I sat down on the bed next to her and wrapped my right arm around her shoulder. "We, my friend, are going to Florida." I told her waving my left hand like the place was magical.

"That's really far away." She commented, eyes wide.

"I know, that's why we're taking a plane." I shrugged.

Her eyes widened even further as she stood up. "Plane? I didn't know I had to pay for a plane ticket! That's really expensive, Luke!" She shouted, sounding aggravated. I rolled my eyes at the over expressive beauty and flopped back on my bed.

"Chill, Beth. My parents originally purchased an extra ticket so that I could take a friend. You're covered." I told her.

"Oh." She mumbled, returning to her place on the bed.

"Yeah." I sat up on the bed and looked at her, wiggling my eyebrows. "Looks like we're back on a plane again together. Are you going to friend zone me again?" I teased, nudging my shoulder with hers.

She laughed, shaking her head to where her hair fell to cover her face. "Oh shut up. That was over winter break." She reminded me, pushing my shoulder lightly.

"It still hurts, Beth. Right here." I placed my hand over my heart as I wiped away a fake tear with my other hand.

"But here we are six months later, still friends." She smiled at me. I nodded my head trying not to show her the hint of disappointment I felt.

"Yeah. Just friends." Just go ahead and rip my heart out, Beth, why don't you.

-

"It's so hot." Beth commented, sprawling herself out on a towel we were both sharing since she forgot to bring one. The towel was definitely not big enough for the two of us unless we both laid on our sides in close proximity to each other. It was really tempting to reach out to her and just bring her closer to me.

"You know, I'm really glad I met you on that plane over winter break. I can't imagine how different things would be if I continued to just pass you up in the hallways and not see you." I confessed, shaking my head at how I was oblivious to her existence most of the first half of the semester of our freshmen year.