seventeen

GUYS VANISHED GOT RANKED!! It's only #775 in Mystery/Thriller but it's still something, and I'm excited so I decided to write this update for you guys.

VERY IMPORTANT CHAPTER, so make sure you're reading closely. Please read the author's note at the end, thanks babes

Beth.

“So are you going to explain where you have been all this time?” I asked Luke as he sat down across from me. I grabbed a cereal bowl from the cabinet, taking down the cereal box from the top of the fridge and pouring some of the Cheerios into the bowl. I grabbed the milk from the fridge, pouring the milk into the bowl until it was filled about halfway.

“Where do you want me to start?” He asked, looking at me as I turned back around to face him.

“I want you to start from the second you disappeared on me.” I requested, taking in a spoonful of my cereal. He nodded his head, intertwining his fingers in front of him as he stared down at them.

“Well, I’m not sure how long of a time period there was between when I disappeared and when I woke up but-”

“Wait, you woke up?” I paused, interrupting him. This was huge news, how could he just brush past it like it was nothing?

“Yeah, I did. Like woke up to this world, not just some stuck in the in-between here.”

My eyes widened and my spoon dropped from my hand, splashing some milk onto my pajama shirt. “Luke, that’s huge! That means… that means you’re actually alive.” I gaped, not being able to process this news without all the excitement building up in me.

Luke nodded his head at me, looking completely unphased.

“Yes, I’m alive. I thought we established this long ago? Like when we discovered my body wasn’t in the coffin or when we both heard my heartbeat down in the morgue?” He reminded me, looking at me in confusion. I rolled my eyes at him, since it seemed we were on completely different pages here.

“But you waking up actually confirms it. Now we know it’s definite.” I pointed out to him, using my spoon. He still looked at me perplexed but shook his head.

“I still don’t get it but okay, whatever. Anyways, as I was saying before, I woke up and it took a few minutes for all my senses to regulate since they were unused for so long, but when I did there were these two guys in the room.”

“Did you recognize them?” I asked, cutting him off again. He held up a finger to me, letting me know he was getting there.

“I seemed to have awoken in the midst of chaos and they were yelling stuff at each other but I caught some of their words. I think they have me on some serious anesthetics. From what I understood, I only awoke because they ran out.”

“That sort of explains why you’re here.” I nodded, some of this finally making sense. Well as much as this situation could make sense.

Luke furrowed his eyebrows at me, tilting his head to the side.

“What do you mean?” he asked, searching for an explanation.

I sighed, putting down my spoon since I knew I wouldn’t be able to eat while explaining this. Knowing my luck the cereal would fall from my mouth as I was talking and that would just be disgusting and completely unattractive.

“When a person is under anesthesia, their body is unconscious and immobile so that the doctors can work on the person’s body, right? Your body’s senses are technically deactivated during this time period which explains why most people don’t really remember anything after they were put under and the drug started effecting their system. Hence, why you don’t remember being put under anesthesia. There’s two things that I can’t figure out though. One, why you’re here. The only reason I can think of is that you were put under so quickly without any preparation and your brain activity was still too excited that you’re unconscious state managed to drift off somehow. How you ended up here with me and how we are able to physically touch is beyond my level of understanding. The other thing is, how are you not dead from an overdose?”