twelve

Luke.

It was awkward to say the least, watching as they all stared at each other in silence. Michael had his arms crossed with his "protective" face on, Ashton was looking warily between Officer Brooks and Beth as he took sips from his coffee, and Beth, well she just sat there looking at everyone like they were all idiots.

"You called me down here, what seems to be the issue?" She spoke, interrupting their long period of silence.

"He says he wants to talk to you. He had me call you." Michael explained, pointing over to Officer Brooks.

"What did you need to talk to me about, Officer Holden?" Beth asked, turning her attention to him. He put down his own coffee that he had in his hand.

"Please, drop the Officer you can just call me Holden." He smiled at her. If only I could punch that pretty face of his with his baby blue eyes and black hair and... well I could actually but I think a random sucker punch from thin air might cause some concern and confusion.

"Fine, Holden, but only because saying Officer was too much of a mouthful. What did you want to talk about?" She asked. His eyes flickered between Michael and Ashton who seemed to be sending him a glare, and he coughed uncomfortably.

"May I speak with you in private?" He asked looking over at Beth.

"Absolutely no-"

"Why don't we just go outside." Beth suggested cutting both Michael and I off. She placed a hand on my knee, out of sight of our company, and I took that as her wanting me to stay here.

I complied reluctantly as I watched her and Officer Brooks walk out the coffee shop.

"I don't trust that guy." Michael muttered, drinking some of his coffee. Ashton shook his head in agreement.

"Something is off about him. He's too young to be a cop. He looks like maybe two years older than me." He said.

"I don't doubt he's a cop, if he really just graduated college and came back to this ghost town, I'm sure the other two cops gladly accepted the company." Michael joked.

"I think he likes Beth." Ashton said, watching Officer Brooks and Beth from the window. Now that caught my attention.

Michael's eyebrows furrowed as he looked at Ashton confused.

"What makes you say that?"

"I mean look at him, looking all concerned and shít. The case has been closed for a while now, doesn't he have other things to worry about it?" Ashton points out.

"Um, have you seen where we live, Ashton? Not much is happening around here, there's still a lot of buzz going around about Luke's death." Michael argued. Ashton rolled his eyes, turning his head to face him.

"You idiot, you're not getting my point!" Ashton exclaimed. Michael let out a dramatic sigh.

"What is your point, Ashton?" Michael asked, his voice sounding extremely bored.

"He. Likes. Beth." Ashton said slowly trying to get his point across.

Now it was Michael who rolled his eyes. "Yes, you said that already. Geez, Ashton, get some new material. Besides, he's too old for her, he can't like her." Michael reasoned.

"Just a minute ago you were saying he was too young!" Ashton argued.

"No, that was you." Michael argued back, pointedly.

"But you said "since when do cops look like that"!" Ashton said now yelling. Customers started turning around in their seats to get a glimpse at the scene my two best friends were causing.