021 - A New Prophecy

Phoenix felt a droplet of snow hit her pink nose. She opened her eyes slowly, her warm amber eyes brightening up at the sight of dawn approaching. Even in the night's darkness, she could see snow piling up. The snow was whalebone-white, covering paws. She watched as the tiny flakes flutter down onto the earth. The invisible wolves running with the wind howled. She stood up, struggling to move her paws out of the uneven snow. Phoenix narrowed her eyes at Flint, licking his forehead before jogging away.

The ginger molly up the rocky slope, heading towards the cave she usually slept in by herself. Her eyes flickered across the room, its mossy walls weren't white but wet from the melted snow on its roof. She saw a single flake fly down through its tiny cracks, then as the wind blew and whistled, grey fur materialized directly in front of her.

Angel Where The River Flows stared up at the molly, a stern expression on her face. "It's winter, Phoenix," she meowed calmly, her eyes looking the molly up and down. "This is where you need to be careful most. Fire doesn't stay alight for long. Go to the house pet's territory, you'll find out all you need to know to go far."

Phoenix lowered her ears, "What do you mean?" Phoenix waited for an answer but all that was left was silence. Under Angel's paws, the ground slowly froze over. It's crackling noise sent shivers down Phoenix's spine as it slowly crept towards her. Phoenix stumbled back, deciding to leave the cave entirely. 

Phoenix sprinted beside The Forbidden Forest, crossing its border. The forest had a weird contrast. It was dark, the snow appearing grey, but still blinding. She felt something behind her, and sprinted faster when she heard it screech. She managed to escape, looking behind her in fear. 

Nothing.

I must be going insane, she thought. Eftsoons, she shook out the anxiety from brain and decided  to follow Red's scent trail. She wondered far enough to have picked up the scent of many house cats. She hesitantly sprinted towards it, noticing the look of a muddy road and many fences. She decided to walk along the road, looking up to see Angel, staring at her with a reassuring smile. Phoenix was on the right track. Phoenix narrowed her eyes up at one of the fences, moving her body back to leap into the air. Before she did, she turned her gaze towards Angel who didn't seem to defy her in any way. Phoenix lunged upwards. Unable to keep balance, she fell forward landing on her back. She was lucky it was just snow and not the ground.

Phoenix stood up and shook off her fur, noticing a cat staring back at her. She was fat, most likely expecting to have children soon, and her pelt was brown and. . . Oh my god, that isn't-

"Heather!" A voice called for her, a very familiar voice. Through the glass doors of the house, Red appeared. He ran towards the molly, looking down at her in shame as he shook his head. "You know, you shouldn't go in the cold or you'll catch a cold. That wouldn't be good for you or your kittens, would it?" Something about the way he moved forward to lap at Heather's ear made Phoenix's chest hurt, but she couldn't quite figure out why.

"I know, Red. It's just. . ." Red pulled back to follow her gaze, his eyes widening in shock.

He moved away from Heather as quick as he could, his ears low. "P-Phoenix, how did you-"

"What's your relationship with her?" Phoenix asked shakily, tears pricking her eyes. Her fur bristled as he glared at the two cats. "Why is she here, what is going on?" 

"Phoenix, I've only been taking care of her. She's here because she had to flee!" 

Phoenix was about to speak when Heather jumped in front of him, "it's true! I found out I was pregnant and I couldn't face Honey or look him in the eyes, please believe me!"