010 - The Battle

Phoenix sat alone that evening, watching as her family mourned her sister. Tigress didn't stop screaming as tears rolled down her eyes. She was mortified. Cats tried to calm her but she just wouldn't stop. It hurt Phoenix to see her mother like this. The taste of Lavender's blood rested on her tongue. The blood droplets stained her chest and mouth, making Phoenix wonder why no one suspected it was her.

Phoenix specifically pitied her father, Honey. He too sat alone, looking cold and distant. It was like he didn't want to look at Lavender. Phoenix sighed deeply.

"It was her time." Flint spoke. Phoenix didn't turn to face him but dipped her head in acknowledgement. She was too ashamed to look him in the eyes. "We miss her as much as you do but this was her destiny. Lavender was quite a nice cat. Maybe she wasn't as pretty as you, but her spirit was the same."

P-Pretty?

Touched beyond words, Phoenix lowered her amber gaze. She sensed that this was not the time to tell Flint about her wrongdoing. It was enough that Flint thought the molly was watching over them in heaven.

Phoenix shivered, not from the cold, but the single raindrop that landed on her nose. Was this an omen? She narrowed her eyes towards the wolf. He stared up too and smiled. "God says it's okay. She's safe." He seemed so relaxed and calm but his eyes were sad and cold. Suddenly, tears flowed out of his eyes. "It hurts, seeing a mother lose her child. My sons and my daughters would still be with me if I had paid more attention to them."

Phoenix shuffled her paws uncomfortably, not knowing what to say. "What happened?"

He sighed and closed his eyes slowly, silently reciting all the things of his past. Regret flooded his voice as he spoke. "They drowned. All because of me." He let out a small, innocent whimper.

Phoenix couldn't help but feel sympathy for the wolf. It was almost as if he had many emotions bottled up that he needed to release. She stretched up, pressing her nose against his shoulder with a deep purr. "Don't blame yourself."

"But it is! Only one of my sons survived. Lavender's death was my fault, I knew those cats would trespass!"

"Well that one is going to do great things. Lavender's death was most certainly not your fault." Phoenix reassured him. She hoped she sounded more confident than she felt. "Her death was inevitable. You should know that!"

Snowy ran over quickly, dipping his head. "Honey wants us at the moors." He meowed sternly. "He wants to battle the cats and that's where they'll be."

Phoenix looked up, her eyes wide. "W-We can't! The moors is supposed to be a peaceful place!" She exclaimed.

Snowy shrugged. "Honey's orders. Come on, we have to leave now.

Phoenix swished her tail in frustration, but did not argue.

Flint didn't respond either. He prodded Phoenix to her paws with his nose and he brushed past her. By the time the cats had reached the moors, rain was pouring harshly against the exposed rock, and the clear water turned the earth around it to mud. The trees were stumps and some of the trees looked as if they had been torn by the ground. Ahead, there were a gang of cats.

Phoenix saw the brown tabby and hoped he didn't recognize him. Crow, I need you. She silently screamed, hoping he'd hear her. She accidentally released her scent, thick with fear. She only realized when Honey commented on it.

"Your scent! We were meant to be stealthy!" He hissed quietly but it was too late. Just as the cats turned to them, Honey yowled and the clowder of cats charged towards the gang.

To Phoenix, it was so sudden. The gang of cats attacked Flint first if they could get to him. Phoenix wasn't sure how to help she knew she had to make an attempt. She charged towards Flint, who was trying to shake the cats off his pelt. She leaned to grab a white molly by the scruff and drag her off him. It was hard since the molly's claws were latched onto Flint's pelt. Phoenix removed the molly at last. She dropped the cat on the ground and as soon as she did, she opened her mouth and leaned her head down to her neck. The molly under her missed, kicking her legs around frantically. Then she stopped and her body went limp.

Phoenix watched the blood pour out of the molly's throat. The crimson colour stained both of their pelts. She turned back to Flint who had gotten control over his situation and bolted over to him. Just as she reached him, Tigress hopped in front of her and hissed. Phoenix stared at her in bewilderment.

"You disappointment." She spat before watching her daughter get attacked by a big brown tabby.

Phoenix hissed. Of course, it was the cat she met before. He was large, so much bigger than her which made it difficult for Phoenix to break free. He raised a paw in the air, the sun directly behind it. After a heartbeat, he swung it down onto the molly under him.

Everything went dark.