015 - Angel Where The River Flows

She ran back to the pond later than ever. The sun was already high, clouds rolling in to the point where the sun was almost not seen. She had passed out beside Red and was supposed to wake up before dawn.

She walked through the clowder, earning confused stares. Phoenix examined them curiously. Their gazes were filled with shock and unease, some went as far as to covering their noses and running off. She sniffed her coat. Could they smell the Forbidden forest on her? What if Honey smells me? She thought with fear. She leaned down to lap at the water, thinking about the ways Honey would tell her off for entering the Forbidden Forest. He wouldn't be that harsh but would restrict her from going into that direction.

She looked over at Flint who was asleep and ran over to him. This time, she was able to lay beside him and leaned against his warm pelt. His deep, croaky voice caught her offguard.

"You smell like a house pet." He growled, Phoenix turned to him in shock. He lifted his head from his paws and stared down at her. "A male house cat."

Phoenix stared at him, flabbergasted. Could he really tell the gender? She wasn't concerned about the fact it was a house cat's scent but if they could sniff out the fact it's a tom, that'll be a big problem. Especially since it's a new moon, which means she's now seven moons old. There'll be a huge misunderstanding.

"So much for hating house cats." Hawk said teasingly. If she could, she'd be glaring at him.

"I got into a fight with a house cat." She lied, looking away. "They knocked me out by the river, I think. I woke up because I knew something was wrong."

Flint nodded. "Trusting your instincts. Even still, you should hide your scent. If you want, I can pretend we're playfighting and you can get rid of your scent in the pond."

Phoenix gave him a small nod, trying to make sense of what he meant. Once she believed she understood, she stood upright and backed away from him. Flint got up too and playfully wacked her ears with a paw. She jumped up and tried to claw at his chin but all that did was allow him to grab her by the scruff. She squirmed, giggling loudly as he jumped around whilst spinning. Eventually, he put her down. She was able to stay on her feet for the seconds she was on land. Feeling dizzy, she stumbled back into the pond.

Even after a few heartbeats, she didn't rise back to the top.

Flint sighed and shook his head, walking into the cold pond. It was deeper than he thought. His ear tips just about made it out of the water. Phoenix waved at him frantically, alerting him of her whereabouts. Without missing a beat, he semi-swam towards her. His feet toucbed the ground as he did but instead of walking, he pushed himself forward which made him rise a little. He grabbed her by the scruff and swam to the other end of the pond and climbing out. He placed her down, shivering.

Phoenix shook out her own fur. "Thank you." She meowed breathlessly. She lapped at her damp fur and scratched her ear with her back paw. "It was freezing in there."

"I know." He responded, shaking out his fur at the same time.

Phoenix sat down and looked up at the soaking tom, sighing. "Flint, do you know anything about pheromones?" He tilted his head to one side and she answered his unspoken question. "Like, what does it mean when both cats enjoy each other's scent."

Flint was reluctant, unsure what to say. "That's a question you should ask your father."

"Ask her father what?" A voice came. It was the pale-orange tom, Honey.