51. Adam

~•One Month Later•~

   No one ever found Ben. No one knew where he went. Jack's getting better, and Ava's doing better too, but she still has to deal with that bully. But I believe she'll be okay.

   We've been hanging out with Alex and her dads. They blamed themselves for what happened, saying that they should've insisted for Jack to stay home. And sure, it's a valid opinion, but we don't blame them.

   Personally, I don't blame anyone.

   But Emma blames Ben. She was furious when we gave up searching for him.

   I'm mad at him for the way he treated my brother and sister-in-law... but I believe he's changed. There was something about him that really made me think he was a different person. Not the angry Ben that abused Emma before her and Jack met, but a more kind, decent person.

   But we don't need to worry about that now.

"Seven months..." Mackenzie smiles at me nervously.

"It's okay," I tell her, "It won't be like last time."

"O-okay..." she stutters, "but I can't believe it. I'm seven months pregnant now."

   This time a genuine smile appears on her face.

"Are you excited about the big game today?" Winter asks Ava, who curled herself up I to a little ball on the couch.

"I don't know..." She answers, "...it's just that... I always get inspired by dad when I play basketball, and..."

"We know it's been hard, and that it's sad that your father can't come to the game," Emma said as she sat beside her, "But we do know that your father is cheering you on."

"And we are, too." Sammy grins.

"Definitely," Ryan nods.

"Don't worry," I say, "You've got this."

"Let's go then," Emma commented. "The game starts in an hour."

"We're leaving? Right now?" Ava questions.

"Traffic is pretty bad." She replies.

   Ava has no idea about the suprise that's coming her way.