47. Emma

"I just wanted to say that I'm sorry. And I wanted to give you guys this." Ben held a few dollars in his hand, "I know it's not much, but-"

"We don't want your money." Adam interrupted, "It would be best if you leave. Now."

   Ben politely nodded and walked away from us.

"Mom?" Ava looks up at me, "Who was that?"

"No one you'll need to worry about ever again." I reply with a weak smile, "Why don't you, Sammy, Winter, Alex and Hannah go sit over there for a bit, okay?" I point to a row of chairs outside of the room we're in.

"O-okay." She nods, and the kids do just so.

   I sigh, "God, I thought I'd never have to deal with him ever since..."

"It's fine, he's gone now." Ryan tries to comfort me.

"How did he get out of jail though?" I ignore him.

"Bailed?" Adam guesses.

   Mackenzie recoils, "Who would ever want to bail out a person like that?"

"He did have some friends that would visit. They did all kinds of dumb shit together." I answer.

"I'm suprised the guy has friends," Ryan shakes his head, "especially after what he did."

"Let's not bring it up now," I shiver as the memories fill my head.

   I stop to look at Jack, still lying on the bed. His shirt covered in blood, and cuts everywhere...

"But he saved me," I continue, "Jack saved me from Ben. If it weren't for him, I don't know where I'd be now."

"And if it weren't for Jack visiting that coffee shop where you used to work, then you guys probably wouldn't have met." Adam adds.

"I don't know," I disagree, "maybe we would've met in a different way. And, maybe, if there is such thing as reincarnation or that kind of stuff, then we'd meet in a different life."

   Everyone looks at me, amazed at what I said. And we're silent for a while.

"I love that guy to death, you know." I hear Ryan start to cry.

"I love him too." I say, small tears forming in my eyes.