8. Sammy

After the argument, I walk upstairs. Dad tells me to leave him alone, but I insist. I open Winter's door without him asking, and suprisingly, he doesn't get mad. But he isn't happy, either.

"Want do you want?"

"I think I know why he lied."

"There's no good reason to lie."

"True. But he still had a reason."

"How would you know? Your only eight..."

"Don't underestimate me because of my age."

   Winter looks at me funny, probably because I know the word underestimate.

"So what's your guess? Why do you think he lied?" He asked. His question seemed a bit genuine. Not sarcastic.

"Probably... to make you feel normal?"

   He shook his head, "No."

"Huh?"

"Your answer is correct, but... Ugh. I can't-"

"Can't what?"

   He paused, then sighed, "I can't forgive him. Not now. Lie or no lie, I never felt normal. Not without my mom."

   Then I paused too. I actually thought about what he said: He never felt normal  without his mom. So why would Uncle Ryan need to lie? Maybe to protect him, I assumed.

"But you won't forgive him?" I asked. Sure, he made a huge lie that wasn't really necessary, but we can forgive people for their mistakes, even if they're big ones, right?

"I just don't see the need to..."

"Because he's your dad." Something inside took over me, and my voice gave the impression of me scolding him, even though I wasn't. But seriously: an eight year old scolding a twelve (almost thirteen) year old? That's kinda funny...

"What?" He asks.

"You heard me. He's your dad. He wanted to help. Maybe he didn't make the smartest choice, but that's ok. Whenever someone is in a problem, the best thing to do is find a solution. In this case, the problem is that your dad lied, but told the truth, and you won't forgive him. Soution: just go ahead and forgive."

"But-"

"Be grateful you still have your dad. Your biological dad. My parents died,  and I'm so grateful that my new mom and dad adopted me. Just be glad you have your dad with you, while you still do!" I shout. Like I said, my dad doesn't know that I know I'm adopted. Neither does Winter. Or the rest of them.

"You... you know?"

"I'm not stupid. Do you think I'm stupid?"

"No... but... how long have you known?"

"It doesn't matter. Just remember what I said. About your dad. Not me. You. The stuff that has to do with you. Forget about what I said about me, okay?"

"O-okay..." He says. I can tell that he's not gonna forget what I said. Not one word.

  As I'm about to leave, I turn my head around. "One last thing."

"Yeah?"

"Ask questions."

"About what?"

"Your mom. I know you have questions. So, sooner or later, go to your dad, and ask him."

   I leave the room and close the door.