12. Emma

I don't know much of the story. I was asleep, after all.

   Jack told me about what happened. Thise kinds of situations scare me. So I started to get a bit stressed out when he told me. Apparently me and Jack get a lot of anxiety nowadays. But not Ava. It's kind of weird. I thought my stress and his stress would combine a kid who would get scared, freak out, and that kind of stuff. I guess that's not how it works.

   Eight years. He really had to keep it in for that long? Maybe he could've told Winter when he was like... nine! Not thirteen. If Jack died, I'd tell Ava right away. (maybe because she's nine, I don't know) I also wouldn't scream it to her face, of course. I know Jack had a talk with him afterward, and I know Ryan wouldn't like it.

   I walk up to Jack about three hours later.

"Why do you have to be so hard on him?" I know it's not the best way to start a conversation, but I had to ask it.

"I'm not being hard on him." He thinks I'm teasing. But I don't smile. I don't laugh.

"You kind of are."

   He looks down at the ground, "I'm just looking out for him, that's all..."

   "Ok. If that's true, what did you say?"

"I asked him how he felt about what happened."

"What kind of impression did you give him?"

   He pauses.

"Did you raise your voice?"

   He looks away.

"Jack!"

"I wasn't trying to! He wouldn't look at me!"

"So?"

"You sound just like my mom..."

   I found that kind of funny. He always makes it so hard for me to be mad at him.

"Probably because I'm a mom. And you are a dad, and we need to set a good example for Ava!"

"She wasn't even there in the room with me."

"That doesn't matter..." I sigh, "I just want us to be good parents, ok?"

He gives me a small smile. "Ok."