44. Sammy

"Jack must've taken the car with him." Auntie Emma says as we stand there in the driveway.

"Our car can't fit enough people." Eric sighs.

"We'll just have to go there by foot." Auntie Emma starts speedwalking down the street. Then it turns into running.

"Emma! The kids won't be able to keep up!" Uncle Ryan chases after her.

"It's not that far away!" She shouts back.

   Then all of us start to chase after her (and Hannah didn't really understand what was going on, but she came along anyway, and it was hard for Mom to run because she was gaining weight from being pregnant), and then Auntie Emma stopped running. Uncle Ryan stopped too.

   We all stopped.

   In front of us were four cars, one of them being Uncle Jack's. The others were a police car, one that belonged to someone else, and an ambulance.

   Auntie Emma runs to a police officer, while the rest of us stay where we are.

"Excuse me?! Police?!" She shouts.

   We couldn't hear what they were saying to her, so we just stood there, waiting for her to return.

"No no no no no..." Dad says as Auntie Emma runs back crying.

"J-Jack's in the a-a-ambulance." She stutters, "I'll b-be in there while you guys go to the hospital, o-okay?"

"Wait... dad's in an ambulance?! What happened?!" Ava asked worried.

"They said something about a car accident. We'll figure everything out later. Just stay with Uncle Ryan and everyone else for now." Emma replied, holding back even more tears.

"But I wanna go with you and dad..."

"Just stay with-"

"I wanna see dad!"

"I'm sorry, dear. Stay with everyone else."

   Ava started to cry.

"I'll see you at the hospital, okay?" Auntie Emma kissed her forehead. Ava nodded.

   Auntie Emma ran back to the ambulance. It drove down the street, and Ava started to chase after it.

"I'll get her." Uncle Ryan says to us, then he takes off running.

   Ava gave up before he could get to her. Uncle Ryan hugged her and they walked back to where we were.

"I never wanted this to happen!" She wailed.

"Neither did we, Ava." He starts to tear up, "Neither did we."